Brown Spots on Italian Vals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NikonFlash

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone! This is my first time posting in this forum and it looks like there are some amazing aquariums out there!

My question is that my Italian vals have small brown spots on most the runners. It seems like the plant is healthy because it keeps sending out runners though.

My lighting is 2X24w T-5 in a 20 gallon fresh water tank. I use flourish every few days. I am also using a DIY CO2 setup.

Is the spots like algae or rot? Since you say it is on the runners then I think it might be rotting? Is the mother plant dying back also? If the baby plants are doing healthy then I think the mother plant will either die off some or the runner will disintegrate altogether. Keep an eye on it or you can cut the runner off if the baby plant is larger and healthy.

flourish will make vals rot. i got italian vals and red jungle vals, and i only dosed flourish once a week. they sent out runners but slowly the existing leaves rotted away to nothing. i would stop using flourish since you have a DIY CO2 setup, flourish is unnecessary anyway.

To clarify, it's Flourish Excel that often causes vals to melt. If you're using Flourish "Comprehensive" or one of the other Flourish fertilizers, they won't cause any problems.

To clarify, it's Flourish Excel that often causes vals to melt. If you're using Flourish "Comprehensive" or one of the other Flourish fertilizers, they won't cause any problems.

precisely, thank you for clarification.

Back
Top Bottom