Can took much light kill java moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

helicopter

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have java moss from the same "batch" in one tank with really bad lighting and its a dark healthy and in another (24 gal nanocube deluxe 72 wates of light) at 3 W/g and its starting to brown a little and the green parts aren't that healthy green look. I have some that is practically right under the lights and others that is on the bottom of the tank, both seem to be doing equally bad. What could it be? I haven't dosed ferts in either tank since huge algae blooms.

Test your water with a reliable and calibrated test kit. You might be bottoming out on one or more nutrients.

Purrbox stated it perfectly, Algae=Deficiency

If you have a fairly good fish load, then I would rule out nitrates and phosphates. I personally would start by dosing Potassium and Flourish Excel. See where it goes from there. With adding Excel, it may increase the intake of the other nutrients, and you may need to dose the others. But in my 26G, I dose no Phosphates or Nitrates, and only dose Potassium once a week and Excel, and the growth is very good, and I have a 65W 50/50 bulb over the tank.

Temperature? I had some issues with my moss last summer when my tank was 83+

Temperature

The temperature is around 80-81.

I have excel, excel iron, and excel trace but I had been mixing the three (4:1:4) into a seperate bottle and dosing from that. I will try just excel, maybe I should try to get some flourish K.

You could also pick up some NoSalt at the store. It's KCl and is a good source of potassium that will be significantly less expensive than Flourish Potassium.

Also consider bringing your temperature down to 78.. it should provide more oxygen for the fish.. unless you have fish that require that high a temp (I keep mine around 77) Bit easier on the plants too since a lot of plants can't handle discus type temperatures..

don't adjust it too drastically, just move your heater temp down and let it drift (one click at a time)

Just FYI, 82 is the uppermost temperature that Java Moss can grow in.

http://www.tropica.com/productcard_1.asp?id=003

28C = 82F

Back
Top Bottom