Co2 and O2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to have a heavy planted tank but I don't quite get about the Co2 and O2 thing. Will an air stone decrease Co2 for plants? Can too much Co2 kill fish? (Btw i have windelov java fern, water wisteria, amazon sword 'compact', and java moss)

Sent from my LG-P659 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you are injecting CO2, then an air stone or surface agitation will decrease CO2 levels. However, if you are not injecting, the CO2 levels will really not be affected by an air stone or surface agitation.

Too much CO2 can kill fish, so many people use drop checkers to monitor the levels in their tank. Looking at your plant list, I don't think you really need CO2 - what kind of lighting do you have, over what sized tank?

Last edited:
If you are injecting CO2, then an air stone or surface agitation will decrease CO2 levels. However, if you are not injecting, the CO2 levels will really not be affected by an air stone or surface agitation.

Too much CO2 can kill fish, so many people use drop checkers to monitor the CO2 levels in their tank. Looking at your plant list, I don't think you really need CO2 - what kind of lighting do you have, over what sized tank?

22 Watts, 20 gallon high

Sent from my LG-P659 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I see. I don't think you would need CO2 with that setup then, since the plants you have are fairly undemanding, and the light isn't very strong.

Back
Top Bottom