co2 assistance please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman888888

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys

I hooked up my co2 on friday.... im completely new to co2

Im assuming im probly diffusing too much right now.... my ph has dropped

Its at 6.4 now...its usually slightly above 7...
some of my fish started to flash..
Im not down with the ph swing.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <5

I have some co2 measuring device but its all in chinese...fml...dont even know how to use it lol

Im assuming i should lower the amount of co2...

Will doing a w/c raise the ph?

I dont want it to keep swinging

Ideas?

Do you have a drop checker?? Bubble counter??

First of all you want your co2 on a timer. You want it to come on 1 maybe 2 hours before photoperiod and turn off before lights out. Co2 running all day is a waste and dangerous to fish

If you have a bubble counter, start off 1-2 bubbles per second. Then adjust as necessary. Plants pearling throughout photoperiod is a good indication.

If you have a drop checker with the correct indicator fluid this will help you setup your co2 amounts. Drop checker solution will be blue with little co2, green with perfect co2 and yellow with too much co2. You want to aim for a lime green towards the end of your photoperiod. An important thing to remember with drop checkers is that the solution wont change colour immediately. It takes a while to change. Therefore the colour showing is normally the conditions from 30-60mins previous. Use this indicator along with bubble counter to set co2 levels.

As for pH swings. Co2 will always lower pH as its acidic in its chemistry make up. What is your kH levels of your tank?

A good kH will prevent pH swings because of the buffering capabilities

Hope this helps and good luck

Thank you sooo much

I was unaware tthat i needed to turn it off.
Im gonna get a timer after work today...thank you thank you thank you

Gh: 40
Kh: 20

Both way too low... i know.... but ive always had issues using buffers

Do you have any suggestions to stabalize/improve params?

I have a bubble counter/check valve? .... the co2 passes through at about 2 bps right now

I have another co2 indicator device that you have to put this solution in....looks like a little upside down cone.....its all in chinese cept one little section that says to put in 1 cc of the solution....what does that even mean?

Thank you sooo much

I was unaware tthat i needed to turn it off.

Im gonna get a timer after work today...thank you thank you thank you

Gh: 40

Kh: 20

Both way too low... i know.... but ive always had issues using buffers

Do you have any suggestions to stabalize/improve params?

I have a bubble counter/check valve? .... the co2 passes through at about 2 bps right now

I have another co2 indicator device that you have to put this solution in....looks like a little upside down cone.....its all in chinese cept one little section that says to put in 1 cc of the solution....what does that even mean?

Firstly im not great with buffers and stuff so a new thread on that might be for the best.

Bubble counter with check valve is perfect.

Your upside down cone is your drop checker :)
The opening to the drop checker faces towards the bottom of the tank. This creates an air pocket between solution and tank water. This prevents them from mixing.
You NEED to position it away from your co2 diffuser and not near strong currents. Such as a filter outlet or powerhead. Also put it in the top quarter of your tank.
Plants will begin photosynthesising pretty soon after the lights come on. This is why co2 needs to be readily available for this time. At lights off the plants will actually reverse their normal process. Tjey will start to consume o2 and give off co2. Although im not sure why.
If you were to leave co2 running all day. The levels would get so high and your fish would suffocate. This is why you need a timer a

How much solution should i pour into the drop checker?
Completely full?

How long does the solution read your co2 levels for before you need to refill it?

Completly depends on size of drop checker. It makes no difference though. I replace my solution every 2 months

Back
Top Bottom