CO2 duration problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kreativ05

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys!!!
I'm having a bit of a problem with my CO2 setup. A friend of mine had laying around a spare Hagen CO2 system and gave it to me..all the packs were out of date so I decided to use the whole kit but use my own yeast/baking soda mixture.
Now I've read all over the net of people having this thing work for upto three weeks...at best if I can get four days I'm blessed :D....I've tried different ratios of yeast/baking powder mix but cannot seem to pass the three day mark, I have even bought a digital thermometer to control the water temperature used for the mix.
My setup is the Hagen fermentation canister > check valve > jar to catch the yeast crap that comes out > straight to a control valve > Hagen's ladder. All has been checked for any air/CO2 leaks and there is none.
Don't know what else can it be...so please HEEEEELLLLPPPP!!!

I have tried all sorts of combinations...at the moment it's:

• 5 large tablespoons of sugar (up to the container's mark)
  • 1 sachet of fresh yeast (baker's yeast bought in the local supermarket)
  • half a teaspoon of baking powder (I've read is to stabilize the mix)
  • fill with warm water (1:2 hot water ratio...again tried different temperatures and this works best to activate the yeast)
It starts bubbling away between 3-5 mins. which I control to 1-3bps with the inline output valve.....so far so good, but the mix only lasts 3 days and tops 4 days with a full sachet of yeast, if I use less according to other online recepies I get 1-2 days. I've built a isolation box for the setup with expanding foam to avoid any exterior temperature fluctuations that could affect (BTW I've tried it inside and outside the box getting better results inside the box)

Any help would be appreciated...Thanks

Could be possibly that bacteria is getting in and killing the yeast... I would sterilize everything with alcohol first, and retry it... I do this: Sterilize all bottles, spoons, mixing cups, etc with alcohol, while I am boiling water... I pour the boiling water on my sugar in the mixing bowl to sterilize the sugar... I let this cool, as I start my pre-foaming yeast in a little (sterilized) mixing dish, and when the sugar water has cooled to the right temp, I pour it into my bottles and add the yeast through a sterilized mini funnel... I have never had a batch go less than three weeks like this...

Remember, alcohol is the by-product of fermentation, so I don't think it hurts the yeast... But I try to use it sparingly, and I let it evaporate off my stuff before I add anything to anything, get it?

I think you may be using waaaay too much yeast. It should be about 1/2 teaspoon of yeast. It should not start producing bubbles for up to 6 hours. Also, hot water will cause the yeast to go too quick. The water should be at about 78 degrees F. I was also told by my lfs not to stir or shake the sugar because if it dissolved too fast it runs out too fast. I did not shake or stir the sugar last time I filled mine up and I am going on 7 weeks of bubbles (package says 6 weeks). I use the packets you buy at the store. I just know that this last time after not shaking or stirring the sugar its lasting longer. I don't know if this only works with the packets I buy or all setups.

I cannot find my old recipe that I used before (it lasted almost 3 weeks). But I did find good info:
I use the mixture of 2 cups sugar and 1/2 tsp of yeast. There are other mixtures and they have other affects. More yeast means the mixture will produce a lot of C02 but not last as long, as the yeast eats the sugar and a bi-product is the C02. So with this 1/2 a tsp it produces a constant C02 for a longer period of time, I would say for 3 weeks and the 1 tsp mixture lasts 2 weeks or less. Whatever you choose is fine, but I recommend the 2 cups and 1/2 tsp yeast. To get a good start of C02 production we want to use lukewarm water, don't use hot water because this will kill the yeast.

This is where I found this info. I read a few other sites and its all about the same.
DIY Yeast CO2 - The Planted Tank

This is the setup I use. I got mine at my lfs for $30 and the refill packs are 3 sets (that last 6-8 weeks) for $10. The refill packs are really worth the money because it does last a long time! It costs on average $10 for about 5-6 months of co2.
Co2 System I use: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...924197/cl0/hydorco2greennrgnaturalwfermentset
Refill packs: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...924199/cl0/hydorco2greennrgnaturalrefill3pack

my recipe was 2 cups sugar, 1/2 teaspoon yeast in a 2 liter soda bottle. mix the yeast in warm water and set it aside to activate. i put the sugar in the soda bottle with warm water up to the curve of the top of the bottle and shake to disolve. add the yeast after 5-10 minutes.

you would be surprised how the tiniest llittle leak can screw everything up. make some soapy water and put it on all of your connections and search for bubbles that would indicate a leak.

another possibility is that your check valve is clogged up from the yeast crap or even from the acid that co2 creates. try replacing that.

Thanks guys for all your help...I decided to do a new yeast crap catcher jar and it's been brilliant, it has been bubbling away now for 5 days with the original yeast mix ....:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'll keep you updated of how the set up is working after a few weeks

CO2 duration problems [RESOLVED]

Well guys as promised...the whole system is working fine now, the yeast mix lasts for 6-7 days...and the plants are begining to catch up :p:p:p:p:p

When I get some time off, I'll take some pics of my first ever planted aquarium and post them ...wish me luck!!!!

My setup is the Hagen fermentation canister > check valve > jar to catch the yeast crap that comes out > straight to a control valve > Hagen's ladder. All has been checked for any air/CO2 leaks and there is none.
Don't know what else can it be...so please HEEEEELLLLPPPP!!!

I would be careful about any kind of control valve on a yeast generator. There really isn't a mechanical means to control the CO2 production rate. You can control other aspects of the production (temp, amount of sugar, amount of solutions, etc), but by adding in a valve all you are doing is building pressure the the generator.

Building pressure = bad news.

Thanks rkilling1 for your concerns, but the valve is open at all times except when I'm going to change the mixture to stop any back pressure and having water returning through the pipe and going everywhere..I know building pressure = bad news (I learnt it the hard way over 20 years ago at school :splat: LOL)

Back
Top Bottom