CO2 for nano (2g)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lumpy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all
I have a very small tank that I recently sent up with 9w light (6400k)
I was thinking how would I go about adding co2 to to this set up what size bottle (in mL) would be good for this?
Whats a good Co2 recipe that lasts the longest im also thinking about adding co2 to a 40g how many bottles would I need?
Thanks in advance.

In that small of tank I just use excel by sea chem. I know it will depend on the plants you have since it does melt a few of them.

alka seltzer?

What is this??:confused:

Thanks for that Joy13
should I just dose excel to my 40g instead of co2 since its quite low light?
Also In my nano I have found that it is evaporating very fast is there any auto top off or something I could use to keep more water in?
thanks

There is several ways of doing ATO one is with a dosing pump and a float valve.

Some plants will melt because of excel hornwort, vals, anacharis and probably a couple more I can't think of. You can always email sea chem and ask them for the dosing and a list of plants they don't recommend.

Hey Lumpy,

Lets take care of your 2G first. I suggest just making a DIY Co2 system for that tank because it is so small. You can search the web for step by step ways to make these systems. They are easy and last from 2-4 weeks depending the size of the bottle, the mixture, and how well your setup is done. And since you only have a 2G tank, you really don't need to mess with an ATO system, it's just a bunch of hassle for such a small tank, doesn't seem worth it when you can use a standard cup to just top it off.

For your 40G, I wouldn't worry about Co2 if your doing low-light plants. They don't really require it because they are slow growers anyways because of low-light so they use less Co2. They get the Co2 they need from the fish in your tank.

I'm just trying to make it easier on you, you can do whatever you like haha. Just seems like your trying to add a bunch of stuff that is really not necessary but like I said, it's my opion you can do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Hope that helps.

my 2 cents

i think you should invest in a pressurized co2 system for your 2 gallon. mainly because you cant control how much co2 you put into the tank. plus a pressurized will last you FOREVER on such a small tank. it'll make your life much simpler. and you could always split it between 2 tanks

everyone has their own recipe that they like best. a pretty common one is 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of yeast. mix the yeast with warm water to activate it first. mix the sugar with warm water in a 2 liter soda bottle and shake it to try to dissolve the sugar. (dont use too hot water, it'll kill the yeast) add the yeast to the sugar and fill the bottle up to where it starts to curve.

but like i said, you cant control how much co2 goes in so be carefull you dont kill any inhabitants

thanks for your replies What sort of plants could I grow in the tank with a 9w light anything?or just low light plants I might try and use a small bottle on my nano and just half or quater the recipe or go for excel or even the presurised co2 what is required for one of those?

9W in a small tank is not high light <wpg rule don't apply to small tanks> ... I would think you have medium light <depends a lot on light & reflector>. You can try some higher light requiring plants, but you might not get great result.

Personally, I don't think CO2 is needed in the 2g. Yes, injecting CO2 will benefit all plants, regardless of light level, but there is diminishing rate of return with less light.

If you like playing with CO2, by all means go ahead ... maybe half the recipe & use a 1l soda bottle. But I would think Excel is the way to go if you want to give the plants a boost.

Pressurized CO2 is fine if you have $$$. You would need a CO2 bottle, regulator, & a reaction chamber (and optionally a pH controller). Expect to pay $300 - 500 for a decent setup.

Back
Top Bottom