CO2 reactor on an XP can

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hello all,

After running across an awesome deal on a JBJ regulator. I finally decided to build up a pres. CO2 system. DIY CO2 on a 40g tank is simply to instabe, not to mention and a PITA.

I plan on building a DIY reactor to tie into my XP1 canister. Using PVC, how big (dia/length) should the reactor be? Also, is it best to put the reactor on the intake or return side of the can?

I've read where people have had problems with thier filter when tieing a reactor into a can. Not sure if its cause they placed it on the wrong side, or they simply built a reactor that was to large for the canisters capacity.

Any suggestions? TIA

Take a minute and read my FAQ. I cover some of the answers there in the hardware section.

Use 1.5" or 1.75" PVC. Your total length should be around 16"-18". Make sure you build the reactor so you can take the top off if necessary.

hey mojo, i'm doing the exact same thing except on a 10gal tank with a DIY co2 generator. my current reactor setup gets too dirty too quickly and when there is even the slightest amount of back-pressure, the rio pump makes this terrible noise. i'm using a 6"long piece of leftover 2"dia clear pvc for my reactor.. i'll drop a few bioballs in there as well... plumb it on the return side.

one question though: i want to be able to unscrew the top to be able to clean out the reactor. do i need a 2" union like this -
457005.gif
or something else? i've never been able to find 2" pvc parts that screw together at home depot...

The "local" Home Depot doesn't seem to have much variety in the way of 2" fittings, but I was able to piece the reactor together. Here's a picture of it dry-fit together and pre-Rit Dye...and the 'T' section is upside down as the arc should be downward. Good thing it's a dry fit.

that's a sweet looking reactor, i like the clear section you've got there. is that acrylic or what? also have you got it up and running yet? i would like to know if all's working well with it.

Nice Burns,

Is the clear section from a gravel vac? What made you use the t section in the design?

Back
Top Bottom