CO2 regulator questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

src

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got my AquariumPlants.com regulator yesterday, and picked up a 5lb bottle of CO2. I had a bit of trouble getting a good seal (bleedown test still shows a minor loss - need to figure that out), but my main problem appears to be finding the right balance between the main pressure valve and the needle valve. It seems that no matter where I set the main valve (between 2 and 4 psi), the needle valve has NO effect on the bubble rate. Right now the only way I can control the bubble rate is by varying the pressure using the main valve.

Am I doing something wrong? How is this supposed to work? Thanks!

I think your going to need to turn the pressure up a lot more than 2 - 4 psi, I have mine at 25 - 30 and once the pressure is at a good place, you should be able to put the needle valve at a good rate, like 3 bubbles per second. It all depends on the specifics of your particular set up too, tank size, ph, kh, etc.

What type of regulator did you purchase? I currently have the Milwaukee all in one but I blew out my pressure gauge and am looking at picking the Best of the Best from AP.com.

Good luck!

Correct, main gauge should read about 25psi. Needle valve should definitely control CO2 rate, and can even hold back all 25psi and stop CO2 flow.

OK, I'll give that a try. I didn't go higher than 4 because the output becomes a steady flow through the bubble counter. I'll play with the needle valve again and try to get it shut down before upping the main pressure.

It's an AquariumPlants.com regulator - the one they make. Seems to be pretty well made with one exception. The main pressure block's instructions say to have the pressure relief valve pointed down, but the way they built the regulator places it pointing up. Not critical, but slightly troubling.

What I did with my Milwaukee is turn the needle valve off so no CO2 comes out, and turn up to 20-25psi, then open the needle valve til I got the amound of CO2 I want.

I guess that's my problem - I never found "off" with my needle valve. Perhaps I didn't turn it in far enough, but I started encountering enough resistance to make me back off. I'll take a closer look at things tonight.

Thanks for all the advice!

Update:
After fiddling with things for a while, I believe that I finally got a handle on the situation. I wasn't accounting for the pressure still in the regulator when I adjusted the needle valve. Apparently it takes a while to normalize at the new setting. So I was turning the needle valve off, but there was still CO2 that hadn't "released" into the bubble counter. Doesn't seem intuitive, but it works.

I shut off the tank, dumped all the built-up pressure, then started with everything "off". Opened the tank to get head pressure, then the regulator to get pressure at the needle valve, then cracked the needle valve and voila, a controllable system.

I'm still only running at about 6 PSI - this regulator only reads up to 15, and it is very controllable to any bubble rate I want at 6.

Thanks again for the help!

Back
Top Bottom