CO2 Regulators (yes, another topic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't do DIY, I have 115g water in my system :( Otherwise I would, because I love DIY projects!!

bcarl thank you so much for that feedback. That was really helpful.

I am definitely not going to be making any trigger decisions. I want to think this through really carefully.

This is kind of off the regulator topic,

I am trying to figure out ways to disperse the CO2 using my sump. I'm thinking of having a powerhead as a CO2 reactor in the fashion I've seen where the CO2 line goes into the intake of the powerhead, and the powerhead outlet is covered with a dense foam sponge so that the CO2 gets fully integrated as the water pushes past, and it all aims generally at the return pump intake. I could make this with parts I already have and then not have to plumb anything inline or buy anything...

The powerhead I already have is a Marineland Maxi-Jet 400 so it is only 110gph, is that going to be enough for my tank? What happens if the powerhead isn't powerful enough?

Can you just throw a reactor in the out put line? Less open top,turbulent exposure the better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The powerhead I have is really a co2 diffuser. The bubbles go into a tube at bottom, float up to be chopped up and then water/dissolved co2 eventually gets driven back out the bottom of the tube where there are slots. Could be possible to replicate.

Lots of people do inline though.

Just reporting in, I have as good as taken the plunge!

I have purchased for 120 shipped a 2-stage Victor regulator with a Burkett solenoid and Fabco needle valve. Based on prices I have researched this was a really reasonable price (I hope!). And the individual components are on all of the "recommended" lists. So I hope I have done well.

Now I need to order a CO2 tank :)

Oh, let me run this plan past you guys for the reactor plumbing.

This is my current tank flow setup, heavily simplified of course. The sump is not just a reservoir :) Its details are just not important to the flow plan.

Red box upper right is overflow box. All flows down to the sump. The yellow return pump is appx 600gph and goes all the way up to the UV sterilizer , which is the green thing mounted at the upper back of the tank. Then after the UV sterilizer, the line goes into the tank to a spray bar mounted all along the top back.

(stay posted for a follow up with my new suggestions)

tank setup before CO2 by threnjen, on Flickr

Hoping you got your reg from Josh(OP)since I know you were talking with him and he was explaining a lot.
He is very good and helpful.
I run my reactors in my sump on separate pumps and outlet the reactor directly into my return pump to tank.
My sump is in basement so this a great thing for me.
I know many run their reactors"inline" on their returns but I do advise against it on your tank.
I use 2 reactors in my sump for my 180(josh helped me out some).

OK here is my new proposed plan. UV sterilizers are more effective the more slowly you can run water through them. Plus, I want the CO2 in contact with the water for as long as possible, without any opportunity to offgas.

So I am thinking to run the basic return pump (yellow) straight to the spray bar in the tank. No longer running it through the UV sterilizer.

Then, I will use a less powerful pump (292gph) to run the reactor (Ista Mix Max Large). The reactor line will run up to the UV sterilizer, so the CO2 will have even MORE time in contact with the water as it is sent to the tank. Plus, all the water going through the UV sterilizer will be going much slower than before, making it way more effective. Then the return line from the UV sterilizer will be vertical down into the tank, at the corner, with the flow going across the back.

Thoughts?

tank setup with CO2 by threnjen, on Flickr

Hoping you got your reg from Josh(OP)since I know you were talking with him and he was explaining a lot.
He is very good and helpful.
I run my reactors in my sump on separate pumps and outlet the reactor directly into my return pump to tank.
My sump is in basement so this a great thing for me.
I know many run their reactors"inline" on their returns but I do advise against it on your tank.
I use 2 reactors in my sump for my 180(josh helped me out some).

I got the regulator used on evilBay. I didn't talk to Josh much besides asking him on PlantedTank about the CO2Art new vs old regulator. But I DID read a lot of his posts over there and he seems SO knowledgeable and helpful. He clearly knows his stuff.

I'm glad for your recommendation, especially because it seems close to my plan! I think I can improve the efficiency of my UV at the same time as running the reactor which is a huge bonus in my book. I think I'm going to get excellent CO2 diffusion too because it's going to be traveling down the line for a long time in the water before reaching the tank.

Called around yesterday to all the welding supply places too. CO2 tanks are so expensive! Anyway I ordered one from Beverage Factory. Will still be less even + shipping and coming unfilled. The place nearest to me fills, not exchanges (not sure I like that more or less, but that's what it is). I have to leave the tank overnight. But I did order a 10lb tank so I am hoping that with great diffusion it will last for quite a while.

Called around yesterday to all the welding supply places too. CO2 tanks are so expensive! Anyway I ordered one from Beverage Factory. Will still be less even + shipping and coming unfilled. The place nearest to me fills, not exchanges (not sure I like that more or less, but that's what it is). I have to leave the tank overnight. But I did order a 10lb tank so I am hoping that with great diffusion it will last for quite a while.

I found the place just near me only fills bottles. I have a new bottle so wasn't worried. Took 30 minutes but they put the bottle in the fridge for a bit so it cools down and they can get more gas in there. I'd never heard of this but it's a micro brewery so I figure they know their stuff :)

I got my co2 tank, a 10lbs one as well, from welder's supply. It was more expensive than I thought it would be. I think I paid around $140 for the tank and $10 for the fill and refills.

My place will only refill tanks if they came from there though, you have to have a document proving it is one of their tanks. Though since your places don't sell tanks that wouldn't be an issue. I've had my 10lbs tank going for a few months now on my 150 gallon tank and it has barely made a dent in the amount of co2 in the tank, I think it'll last me at least 8-9 months.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

For your reactor, just build a Cerges reactor, and connect it on the way from the sump to the main tank. There is no loss of CO2 with a cerges reactor, it's much better than any other option.

All of my stuff should get here today!! Happy dance!!

I have the canister already... I could have gotten it filled last week but I figure it will be easier to manipulate an empty canister while I figure out all of my plumbing. SIGH. I'll still have to wait to start running it, boo!

Yay yay yay!

I was going to ask how you liked the max mix or if you had gotten that. I bought one but didn't even think about the fact that both my canisters are way too big to hook up to it. I'm still trying to figure out a way to copy the spinning propellor thing to put inside my DIY reactor.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My regulator didn't show up grrr. It is stuck in purgatory somewhere.

I got all of the other stuff so I have been working on my plumbing in the meantime, and I think I will go ahead and go get the CO2 tank filled today.

Yeah the Ista Mix Max thing has such a tiny input and output. I'm running it on a different pump to deal with that (I'm so lazy I could have just built a cerges, oh well)

GRRRR the mail came today and still no regulator!! What the heck, post office!!!! :( :( :(

I have everything ready though! Today I plumbed in my reactor and reorganized all the tank plumbing. I ended up doing it like my proposed diagram on page 2. My primary return pump now runs straight to the spray bar, and I have a smaller pump that runs the CO2 reactor then runs through my UV sterilizer. This is going to make my UV much more useful because slow flow is good!

I also got my CO2 tank filled and it is hanging out in the cabinet ready for a regulator!! I hope it comes tomorrow, I am all set to get hooked up and gas my fish :p

OK I just checked the tracking on the regulator and I am so freaking pissed. I live in Oregon, and on Friday the regulator was at the west coast sort facility in Washington. And now today it got processed through a sort facility in Pennsylvania. ???????
WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THIS BOX, USPS. GO HOME, YOU ARE DRUNK.

/tears

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom