Co2 worries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samtheham

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Aquarium Community,
I have been doing freshwater tanks for quite a while. I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank in my room and a 2 gallon tank in my room. Recently I decided to replace my sand in my 20 gallon freshwater tank to fluval stratum because I am planning to do a carpet of either dwarf hair grass or micro swords. This is the first time I am doing a carpet. I decided to set up a co2 system. I have a 5 lb tank with co2 proof tubing, and it has a dual regulator from Double Sun.(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F7P8TL3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
I am going to be splitting it to two systems with a 3 way T splitter. I will be using a Jardli glass diffuser for both tanks.
However, my dad is concerned that because this is in my room, if in the case of the co2 tank leaking, I would get co2 poisoned. The room doesn't have much ventilation (a vent that only works at night, and a door that is closed at night.). Should I add a co2 detector, or is there any way to increase ventilation. Should I even be concerned of a massive co2 leak.
Also I was wondering if it is alright to attach the regulator right away after filling the tank, and do I need any plumber's tape for attaching the male and female thread from the co2 canister to the regulator. Also, I am wondering if I need to heat up the co2 tubing before attaching it to the Jardl glass diffusers?
Thank you so much for bearing with this thread, I am new to the community and have a lot of questions.

Hi Aquarium Community,
I have been doing freshwater tanks for quite a while. I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank in my room and a 2 gallon tank in my room. Recently I decided to replace my sand in my 20 gallon freshwater tank to fluval stratum because I am planning to do a carpet of either dwarf hair grass or micro swords. This is the first time I am doing a carpet. I decided to set up a co2 system. I have a 5 lb tank with co2 proof tubing, and it has a dual regulator from Double Sun.(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F7P8TL3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
I am going to be splitting it to two systems with a 3 way T splitter. I will be using a Jardli glass diffuser for both tanks.
However, my dad is concerned that because this is in my room, if in the case of the co2 tank leaking, I would get co2 poisoned. The room doesn't have much ventilation (a vent that only works at night, and a door that is closed at night.). Should I add a co2 detector, or is there any way to increase ventilation. Should I even be concerned of a massive co2 leak.
Also I was wondering if it is alright to attach the regulator right away after filling the tank, and do I need any plumber's tape for attaching the male and female thread from the co2 canister to the regulator. Also, I am wondering if I need to heat up the co2 tubing before attaching it to the Jardl glass diffusers?
Thank you so much for bearing with this thread, I am new to the community and have a lot of questions.

Welcome to AA :welcome:. I really have never heard of a leak from something like a 5lb co2 tank hurting someone. If you're going to have a big leak it usually would happen right after attaching the regulator to a new tank. Just keep an eye on it for the first few hours after you hook it up and if it doesn't lose a ton of pressure you're good. It's totally fine to attach the reg right after filling the tank, and I've used plumbers tape before but it seems unnecessary. Heating up tubing helps when getting it onto diffusers so that wouldn't hurt so you don't accidentally snap the glass.

Back
Top Bottom