Copper Penny Under Crypts??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
A few weeks ago, one of my crypts' leaves were beginning to melt and someone online recommended that I put a couple of pennies in the subtrate under the crypt to help with this and today, I have at least 3 new leaves coming up but I wanted to check and make sure that putting copper pennies in the subtrate cannot hurt the water parameters or anything else for that matter. I've heard that copper can kill shrimp, but I do not have any shrimp and haven't heard anything else about it.

Thoughts?

I snickered when I was told to do this but now I am very suprised at the growth and the fact that the leaves are no longer melting. I guess I'll leave them under there then as long as it's not hurting anything.

Thank you!

I've actually heard of doing this for terrestrial plants. My grandmother used to stick a penny in her houseplants - she said that she was paying them to grow! :lol:

Hey, if it's working for you, why stop?
Unless your water is very acidic (below pH 6), I doubt that copper metal will ever leach to the point where it would harm inverts.

LindaC said:
I snickered when I was told to do this but now I am very suprised at the growth and the fact that the leaves are no longer melting. I guess I'll leave them under there then as long as it's not hurting anything.

Thank you!

I usually throw a Franklin in my tank now and then, seems to help the fact that I buy allot of accessories and since I have been doing this my wife never complains :)

Back
Top Bottom