Dead leafs stuck in Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ggben321

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently started the fish keeping hobby. I purchased an all in one 40 litre fish tank. I have decided to get live plants in my tank. Unfortunately some dead leaves have gotten stuck in my filter intake. I am always cleaning the filter out but i was wondering if this is a permanent solution to this problem or will i have to just keep cleaning out the tank once every couple of days.

Typically if you are getting a bunch of dead leaves it's best to try and fish net them out if you get a chance before they have a chance to get in the filter. Now of course you will not always be able to and especially at night. Not sure what kind of filter came with the tank but I love canister filters and the ability to get a much larger filter than the size of aquarium means much much less often do I have to do maintenance. If instead I had a hang on back filter rated for close to the size of my aquarium then of course maintenance would have to be done much more often.

I fashioned a grate out of plastic grid (cm sized holes) from the crafts section at a chain store nearby to prevent debris from getting in my filter. You can zip tie it around an intake or secure it in the gravel depending on the type of filter you have. Crafts and diy work have been a big part of this hobby for me.

Are the plants doing ok or are they just melting away. Just tossing some plants into an aquarium doesn't mean they will grow.

Is the light that came with your all in one fishtank capable of supporting plant life ? Did you purchase plants that will work well for the amount of light and possibly CO2 / fertilizers you are using ??

Keeping the leaves from clogging up your filter intake is an on going chore for anyone with a planted aquarium, however if your plants are not growing then your leaves are going to rot off and get caught at the filter intake.... Food for thought

Back
Top Bottom