Define 'High' light plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandoborg

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is just another silly question that's been bouncing around in my head lately. Does the term 'High Light' refer to the duration of light or the intensity ??? Reason i'm asking is that Rivercats helped me a while back to stop and Algae problem by going to a 3 on-2 off- 4 on light /co2 cycle. I use a Finnex Ray2 that's pretty dang bright. If the term means high intensity, then could i possibly just run it from 6-10pm and leave it at that, or does it mean a 'high duration' of light ?? Everythings working fine, i do have a little algae, but nothing that i'm worried about. Just something that's had me thinking lately.

Jim

IMO high light relates to light intensity. But you still have to run high light long enough. I've found 6 hours of high light is just about perfect to achieve optimum growth and photosynthesis in my plants. But this is also tied into using CO2 or liquid ferts since it too is needed in high light tanks with high light plants.

Some plants only grow, flourish, and color up when light intensity is very strong but they also need CO2 and or liquid carbon and proper ferts.

You can always try just running your lights 6 straight hours and see how they do. Plus try upping your CO2 or liquid carbon amounts. In my very high light 220g I use both CO2 and liquid carbon.

THANKS Janis !! As always, not only an answer, but an explanation !! I always learn something from you !! BTW, those plants are looking good....still adjusting........but they're going to be just fine !!!! !!.......

Jim

Back
Top Bottom