DIY CO2 required items

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mopedman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have read a thing or two about the homemade CO2 system and I wanted to make sure I am going to get everything and not have to make two trips to the store. So what I will need is:
Two liter bottle
Silicon Tubing
A check valve
Yeast
Sugar
Water
What Else?
Also after I put them all together do I just slip the silicone tubing into the slot above the nozzle on my powerhead? Thanks for all of your help

the way i set up my diy co2 is
drill a hole in the top of the bottle just big enough to let to hose through then glue or silicon around the tube so you wont have any leaks.
then i just ran the tube into the tank and used a limewood air stone to diffuse the co2. i dont have mine on a powerhead, i dont know if it works any better. but you do have all the right stuff it sounds like

Here's how I built mine:

DIY Yeast CO2 - The Planted Tank

The exact same way. I just run the open end of the tubing into the water and I attached it to my power filter where it draws debris in and the bubbles shoot up there and then diffuse.

Oh, and I didn't use a check valve.

Here's how I built mine:

DIY Yeast CO2 - The Planted Tank

The exact same way. I just run the open end of the tubing into the water and I attached it to my power filter where it draws debris in and the bubbles shoot up there and then diffuse.

Oh, and I didn't use a check valve.

Does it work well for you? Do you have more than one bottle going into your tank? If so how do you deliver the other bottles? Thanks

To use two bottles, you'd need a T valve and two check valves. The T vlave ties the flows together, and the check valves will allow you to change a bottle without loosing pressure to the entire system.

Personally I really like using the Foremost Bulkhead Fittings to attach the tubing to the bottle caps. They create a nice mechanical seal with a minimum of fuss.

Does it work well for you? Do you have more than one bottle going into your tank? If so how do you deliver the other bottles? Thanks

A week after I noticed a difference, I'm using one 2L bottle in a 38 gallon tank and my plants are doing remarkably well compared to when I didn't have the CO2. I change the mixture in the bottle every two weeks.

Oh, and I just used white craft glue to secure the tubing into the pop cap. Although I probably didn't need anything as I made a perfectly tight fitting hole for it.

Give it a shot, inexpensive and it works!

re diy co2

hiya,
New to this site--love it!
re diy co2...
I've fiddled a bit with these setups myself, but would like to suggest that a check valve is an absolute necessity, not an option. You wouldn't believe the mess (and loss) resulting from backflow into the tank...That said, the plants are wayyyy happier!
JD

To use two bottles, you'd need a T valve and two check valves. The T vlave ties the flows together, and the check valves will allow you to change a bottle without loosing pressure to the entire system.

Personally I really like using the Foremost Bulkhead Fittings to attach the tubing to the bottle caps. They create a nice mechanical seal with a minimum of fuss.

When you use two bottles with a t-valve like you mentioned is it just more of a flow out the airstone? I am trying to figure to use two seperate or two connected with the t-valve.

When you mix up a DIY yeast batch, it takes a while for it to build up pressure in the system and actually start injecting Co2 into your tank. By using a 2 bottle system, you can alternate weeks on replacing your bottles without completly losing all CO2 during the downtime.

When you use two bottles with a t-valve like you mentioned is it just more of a flow out the airstone? I am trying to figure to use two seperate or two connected with the t-valve.

It allows you to combine output to a single diffusion method. If you're just going with an airstone, it probably wouldn't make much difference whether the flows are combined or not. With more efficient methods it allows you to reduce the clutter in your aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom