Do certain glass canopies block less spectrum than others?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmpi82

Aquarium Advice Newbie
The owner of my LFS claims that the only glass top/canopy that doesn't block light spectrum is Marineland/Perfecto Please confirm or disprove this. Also I'm debating DIY Led lights for my 20H soon to be planted tank Does anyone have experience in this? thanks

I've used just about every brand of glass top on my tanks. The differences aren't a big deal. Yes, glass with less iron will absorb a little less light. Not enough to make me buy one lid over another but iron does have an effect. To tell the difference just look at the glass from the edge. If it looks green it has more iron and if it looks clear from the edge it will have very little iron. Also, to help keep your new lids from chipping, use a soft emery board (like you would on your nails) to soften any hard or jagged edges, assuming any are there.
Bottom line, if you want maximum clarity check the glass from the edge and go for less green. I have to much light over my tank already so for me the iron is no concern at all.

Why not skip the glass all together? Bulkreefsupply.com sells screen and tools to make your own screen top. The screen is about 1/4 inch netting and is clear. It will not block light or air transfer, while keeping your fish in the tank. Id look into it. Pretty cheap too.

What about Lighting?

Ty for the replies on glass top. my water is so alkaline here (tap is 7.8) that if i didn't have a glass cover my lights would be covered with creep and corrode. Still i'm researching lights DIY leds seem to be the cheapest method atm all i have is an incandescent hood with 2x cfl 6500k bulbs and i feel like I don't have a large enough spectrum for my plants. Note this tank is currently empty I'm working on turning it into a planted/shrimp tank. So far i'm leaning towards ADA AS Amazonia powder for my substrate to help lower and soften my water. So if please suggest some good (and fairly cheap under $80 if possible) light system

DIY LEDs might be fun for you if you're into projects. I have a 20h fully planted tank using a $40 (including shipping) 2xT5 Odysea fixture plus a single T5 strip that I only have on for about two hours a day because otherwise it's just overkill. It's about as low end as you can find but it sure grows plants. I use a glass top to protect my fixture as well. Nothing at all wrong with that. FishNeedIt.com has great prices on fixtures, too.
Be warned, unless you are planning on having co2 on your tank the two CFLs you have, or something like a double bright LED fixture is probably the wiser option. Once you go high light co2 is crazy hard to do without. Algae loves to take over in a tank with strong light and no co2.

yes i plan to go with co2 after the tank has been cycled for a month or so. then as i get some algae growth, I'll add more plants and a couple dozen Fire red cherry shrimp (which will need plenty of algae to eat on) then after i feel the tank is more stable i plan to add 6-12 marimo moss balls which will also compete with the algae. I think i want to do DIY co2 but not yeast and sugar one im talking big like paint ball co2 or bigger (i work at pepsi and have virtually unlimited access to co2) that way i wont have to recharge homemade co2 or change those little co2 cans every week :D btw CorallineAlgae what kind of bulbs do you have in that T5? 10000k?

I have a 6500K daylight and a 6700K "pink" plant bulb. I try out different manufactures bulbs regularly but usually stick to that configuration with another 6500K daylight in the single fixture just because I have it. I also use a paintball co2 system because I can walk one block to refill it at a store nearby. I can't believe how long one charge lasts at 3bps! About 4-6 months!! I only recharge 2-3 times a year for around $3 each time.

Do you change your T5s every 6 months? i heard that's what recommended. how did you get your co2? buying all the different pieces or a kit or a kit and get a paintball co2 adapter? where'd you buy it? i do most of my buying from bigalsonline.com best prices on about 75% of what he sells and free shipping for orders of $75 btw i wanted to mention about 15 years ago my discus tank kept getting algae and all the cleaners i added eventually would get lazy and feed of discus "milk" so i added a UV sterilizer and it totally took care of my algae problems. just one more option for people worried about it.

I run my bulbs for around 12 months or so before throwing them out. I just like to have a small selection on hand if possible. That way if there is an algae bloom I can change bulbs and see if it makes a difference, even if a bulb is only a few months old. But mostly I like to change the look of the tank every so often. It's something I got in the habit of doing when I kept reef tanks.

I got the Red Sea pro kit with the solenoid for my co2 setup. It had everything but the paintball tank. Everything has worked perfectly with it since 2008. I recently changed the reactor to an inline reactor on my canister filter. It's not the cheapest or most high end setup but I have absolutely no complaints with it. I've never even had to replace the tubing!

Back
Top Bottom