Does high glut dosing = better plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
I'm just going through (again) starting at a low glut dose of about 1 ml per 10 gal and slowly working up.

I'm finding that thicker leaf vals are easier than narrow ones to acclimatise (or they just survive better).

But I'm wondering does glut high dosing to say 1 ml per 2gal actually lead to really improved plant growth? If it was just a slight improvement I think I'd skip. Thoughts?

I was also wondering if anyone had swapped from glut to co2 and noticed a big difference in plant growth? I had read on seachem website I think where they said glut was about a 6 if co2 was 10.

I noticed that under the same light and ferts, when I switched from excel to DIY CO2 there was a dramatic increase in plant growth. Did not happen overnight though. Took several weeks. I dosed excel with the DIY CO2 to hopefully makeup for the inconsistent CO2 output/level.
I believe increasing glut will be beneficial to a point. Too high and it becomes detrimental to certain plants and some inhabitants. If you do observe no positive changes in plant growth with increased glut, them perhaps the limiting factor is something else such as ferts or light.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I noticed that under the same light and ferts, when I switched from excel to DIY CO2 there was a dramatic increase in plant growth. Did not happen overnight though. Took several weeks. I dosed excel with the DIY CO2 to hopefully makeup for the inconsistent CO2 output/level.
I believe increasing glut will be beneficial to a point. Too high and it becomes detrimental to certain plants and some inhabitants. If you do observe no positive changes in plant growth with increased glut, them perhaps the limiting factor is something else such as ferts or light.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the reply. I'll try that and persist with glut until Xmas.

I was talking to the lfs and he said he could give me a list to get going with co2. The list was because he bought stuff all over the place (the lfs doesn't carry co2 equipment). It sounded pretty cheap but the co2 bottle would be hard to hide and I think my filter flow would need to be slowed down.

So it's tempting but still thinking.

Back
Top Bottom