driftwood, how do you sink it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, i got some driftwood today, and i just want to know the easiest way to sink it that osme of you may have used. Any techniques? I haver never had real driftwood in my tank, looking forward to getting it in. So any suggestions would be great! TIA

Your method will be determined by the size. Boiling it first and then soaking it in it's on tub to release it's bouyancy is one method.

The other is screwing it to a piece of slate. I done both and I prefer the slate method. Takes less time and I couldn't find a recepticle large enough to soak it.

some woods will simply just sink if u put it in. but attaching it to slate or some other rock is the best method. works everytime and doesnt take any waiting.

I prefer buying driftwood that will sink immediately. Much easier and don't have to worry about finding a large enough pot to boil it in. For larger pieces where boiling is impracticle, you can put it in a large container (rubbermaid, etc) and then pour boiling water over top of it. Not as efficient, but apparently it works almost as well. For wood that refuses to waterlog even after being boiled, attaching to slate is about the only option.

I did the slate thing but the driftwood was still to bouyant for the slate to even keep it down. So i boiled it then attached the slate(both methods). Then I just let it cool down, put it in my tank, and it looks great. I had to rescape my whole tank though, now it looks so bare in some spots. I am planning to get a few more plants.

I had some pieces just slightly too large for my boil pot. Those I boiled one end, flipped over and boiled the other. Worked pretty good. A few large pieces I just burried under the sand and pulled out a few months later. I had less sucess with that, but it worked for some pieces.

I had used a forstner or wood-boring drill bit to drill holes in the bottom of the wood. Then I jam (or epoxy) granite, quartz or other inert rocks into the holes. Then I took 1/4 inch bit, and drilled from the top of the wood, into the holes I drilled from the bottom, to allow air (that would be trapped in the hole for the rock) to escape. Or you can 'pile' rocks around/on it, giving a 'natural-type' rockslide formation.

Back
Top Bottom