Dry Ferts advice needed please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
I am going to place an order for dry ferts from Gregwatson. I am planning to order:

Nitrate Potassium Nitrate 1 lb. $2.17 $2.17
PotassiumPhosphate Mono Potassium Phosphate 1 lb. $3.42 $3.42

I am curious about the trace elements, I currently have 'Leafzone' which I started using 2 weeks ago, will this do or should I buy the Flourish? Or is there a better one? Is there a cheaper or better place to shop?

Finally, I plan to follow the Barr EI for my tank, does anyone have a setup like mine with adjusted measurements for the light I have? Can anyone offer any tips or advice in general about this?

Thanks

My Tank:
29 Gal, lightly planted right now (once Algae and growth issues stop I plan to add more)
55W PC Light
DIY CO2 with 2 3 litre bottles rotated weekly
Penguin 200 HOB Filter with Biowheel removed
Stock: 5 Tiger Barbs, 10 Black Neon Tetras, 2 Clown Plecos, 2 YoYo loaches.
Last test readings:
Nitrate: 0 - 1oppm
Nitrite: 0
Amonia: 0
Ph 7.2 - 7.6 (tests are hard to read)
kh 120.

u2_Crazy said:
Hello,
I am going to place an order for dry ferts from Gregwatson. I am planning to order:

Nitrate Potassium Nitrate 1 lb. $2.17 $2.17
PotassiumPhosphate Mono Potassium Phosphate 1 lb. $3.42 $3.42

I am curious about the trace elements, I currently have 'Leafzone' which I started using 2 weeks ago, will this do or should I buy the Flourish? Or is there a better one? Is there a cheaper or better place to shop?
if you are already ordering from greg watsons why not pick up some CSM+B for your trace? are you going top pick uo Potasium sulfate?
Finally, I plan to follow the Barr EI for my tank, does anyone have a setup like mine with adjusted measurements for the light I have? Can anyone offer any tips or advice in general about this?

Thanks

My Tank:
29 Gal, lightly planted right now (once Algae and growth issues stop I plan to add more)
best way to fight the algae is to plant as heavly as you can right away
55W PC Light
DIY CO2 with 2 3 litre bottles rotated weekly
Penguin 200 HOB Filter with Biowheel removed
Stock: 5 Tiger Barbs, 10 Black Neon Tetras, 2 Clown Plecos, 2 YoYo loaches.
Last test readings:
Nitrate: 0 - 1oppm
Nitrite: 0
Amonia: 0
Ph 7.2 - 7.6 (tests are hard to read)
kh 120.

I used CSM+B for a while and didn't like it. Tom Barr recommends another dry fert for trace from Tropica I believe. I use Flourish Comprehensive for trace now and am happy with it.

The problem with CSM+B for me was that you could never get the stuff to dissolve in water before dumping it in, and in the closet it grows weird mold on top.

HTH

if you are already ordering from greg watsons why not pick up some CSM+B for your trace? are you going top pick uo Potasium sulfate?

As far as I knew I only needed the 2 items I mentioned and a trace like Flourish or the Tropica brand. Along with Co2 I understood this was all I needed. What else should I have. I might as well get it all in the one order. Thanks

For traces you can use Tropica Master Grow (it's got a new name now that I don't know off the top of my head), Flourish Comprehensive, or CSM+B. They are all good, though most of us tend to prefer one of the three. I've used both Flourish Comprehensive and CSM+B and haven't noticed much difference. I mix a solution of the CSM+B and it dissolves without any problems and stores fine as well for me.

For macros you'll want to dose Nitrates, Phosphates, and Potassium. You've got both the Nitrates and Phosphates covered with what you were planning to dose. While some people dose enough KNO3 to meet their Potassium needs, many find that they need to dose Potassium separately. In this case you would need: KNO3, KH2PO4, and K2SO4 (or KCl). Since the shipping is the largest part of the cost, you might as well order the Potassium at the same time and have it on hand in case you need it.

I fi use CSM+B, what are the directions? I was reading http://www.gregwatson.com/HowToDosePlantex.htm which mentions mixing with Magnesium sulphate?

just to recap what should be ordered:
Nitrate Potassium Nitrate 1 lb. $2.17
PotassiumPhosphate Mono Potassium Phosphate 1 lb. $3.42
PotassiumSulfate Potassium Sulfate 1 lb. $2.17
CSMPlantex1 CSM+B Plantex 1 lb $8.59

do I need the Magnesium sulphate? When should I dose the Potassium sulphate?

Does this look right?

sorry for all the questions, I just want to really understand what I'm doing here.

Here's a nice little CSM+B calculator. You'll want to aim for .1-.2 ppm iron (fe).

For Potassium you'll want to dose at least 10-20ppm each week. More if your plants start showing a Potassium deficiency. This can be dosed once a week right after the water change or split into smaller doses and dosed throughout the week.

Back
Top Bottom