Duckweed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does Duckweed help out with water quality very much? I know Goldfish will eat it, but I was hoping to cultivate some in a bucket first and hope that I can get it to take hold in the barrel outside. I don't mind that it's invasive as far as growing out of control. Also, does anyone want to send me some if it's so readily available in your tanks? I can't find any at the LFS around here.

all duckweed does is eats up yout nitrates so other plants in the aquarium cant use them.

Thats why alot of people don't like it, I on the oither hand, LOVE duckweed. It is great for tanks with livebearers, and good for fish food aswell.

I have quite a bit of it aswell, i hope to get more when pond season starts, so i can use it for cover for livebearer fry.

I don't have much in the barrel, except for some Java Moss and lilly plant. I don't mind having the Duckweed. I'll think about it some more and I will PM you guys if I decide to go with Duckweed. Thanks for the offers.

Its not a bad weed. In fact, it is actually possible to create a self sustaining ecosphere using duckweed, pond snails, and freshwater puffers. But thats a project for the incredibly adventurous.

WaterPond said:
It is great for tanks with livebearers, and good for fish food aswell.

In your experience Waterpond, what fish eat it?

I'm going to tell everyone that I'm receiving weed in the mail. :) SWEET! Thanks again!

img_790627_0_ab000d0dbe4058052a7eb6ba87c52cde.jpg

It's here! Thanks, Lisa.

Back
Top Bottom