Eheim Classic Question - Is the Carbon Filter Beneficial?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carbon Filter

• Helps plant growth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hurts plant growth

• Unsure

• Total voters

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do I need the carbon filter pad in a planted aquarium?

Is it beneficial or detrimental to plant growth?

You don't 'need' it, but if you have yellowing water from tannin's, it will help clean it up.

The use of a Carbon filter is debatable in a planted tank. Some say it will remove nutrients from the water. It will remove organics and some have noticed better plant growth while using it. I don't know of any conclusive evidence of better growth.

I believe that the emerging concensus is that activated carbon does not do any harm, but in most cases is an unnecessary expense. There has been some rumor that it might absorb some of the nutrients plants need, but never any conclusive proof. Many people use activated carbon in planted tanks with no problems. The only time that you truly need it is for the removal of tanins or medications at the end of a treatment. Water changes will take care of the DOCs.

Purrbox said:
I believe that the emerging concensus is that activated carbon does not do any harm, but in most cases is an unnecessary expense. There has been some rumor that it might absorb some of the nutrients plants need, but never any conclusive proof. Many people use activated carbon in planted tanks with no problems. The only time that you truly need it is for the removal of tanins or medications at the end of a treatment. Water changes will take care of the DOCs.

It's not activated carbon...just the black carbon filter that came with the canister unit.

I do not use carbon, but I have heard many experts suggest using it for the first 1-2 months with a new aquarium setup. Once the tank is established, there is really no reason to use it, aside from the reasons that Rkilling and Purrbox mentioned.

From what I understand, carbon is really only effective for about a week, after which point you would need to recharge/replace it.

I stopped using it about 2 months ago. The only thing i have noticed is that when I pour freshwater in during water changes i tend to get a whiff of that fishy smell. If you've ever smelled it you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom