Enough co2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JML Aqua

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So planning on using diy co2 on my 10 gallon. Will it be enough for baby tears? I also got finnex ray2 lighting so it's very light, like probably over 100 par on the substrate. Substrate is Flourite and flora-max, will also be dosing seachem flourish.

Dimensions of 10 Gallon
20" long x 10" wide x 12" tall(10" at substrate level)

Light will be placed at mid point (5")

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415247629.809023.jpg

So here's my diy co2 set up:
2 2 liter bottles
2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp yeast

Thank you in advance :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, I can't say for certain but it definitely seems as though your baby tears will grow. Your light is a medium-high, and you have plenty of co2 for a 10 gal tank.... the substrate.... I would only assume your baby tears will thrive

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Should be fine as long as the ferts are on the level..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Be careful with lighting that high. If you dont get the co2 right your going to have algae!

I foresee a BBA outbreak in the not so distant future

Be careful with lighting that high. If you dont get the co2 right your going to have algae!

I foresee a BBA outbreak in the not so distant future

Skully, for my info, if he experiences BBA soon, is that a lack of co2, or an excess? And is it only a trial and error?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You'll never have plant/algae issues with too much CO2. The more CO2 the better. You don't see normal plants struggling with the unlimited co2 in the air do you? Reason we lower co2 levels is to keep fish. It's also expensive to run co2 at crazy high levels.

BBA is caused by a combination of higher/excess light with an inadequate co2 source/distribution. It's simple, the more light you have the faster a plant will grow, therefore co2 demands and nutrient demands rise. The best solution to any algae issue is to lower the light intensity. This slows the growth rate down and the correct balance can be found. Slow healthy growth is much prettier to look at that algae infested plants that need trimming every 10days or so. I really wish people would really do proper research into lighting/co2/aquatic plants and then the forums might not be clogged with algae related threads

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You'll never have plant/algae issues with too much CO2. The more CO2 the better. You don't see normal plants struggling with the unlimited co2 in the air do you? Reason we lower co2 levels is to keep fish. It's also expensive to run co2 at crazy high levels.

BBA is caused by a combination of higher/excess light with an inadequate co2 source/distribution. It's simple, the more light you have the faster a plant will grow, therefore co2 demands and nutrient demands rise. The best solution to any algae issue is to lower the light intensity. This slows the growth rate down and the correct balance can be found. Slow healthy growth is much prettier to look at that algae infested plants that need trimming every 10days or so. I really wish people would really do proper research into lighting/co2/aquatic plants and then the forums might not be clogged with algae related threads

This is true, but for a small tank such as 10 gallon, I'm assuming it would be enough co2 even if I'm using DIY. If BBA does appear then I will probably convert to pressurized. I just wanted to see if I could go with the cheaper alternative rather than spending much more for something that can be replicated in performance and effectiveness. I do agree that it's annoying to have a bunch of algae related threads, but it's a different story when people are experimenting rather than not doing the research.

I just wanted to see if I could go with the cheaper alternative rather than spending much more for something that can be replicated in performance and effectiveness.

You'll never replicate pressurised using DIY.

DIY is very unstable as a supply method. BBA can also be caused by fluctuating CO2 levels.

I wish you luck though

You'll never replicate pressurised using DIY.

DIY is very unstable as a supply method. BBA can also be caused by fluctuating CO2 levels.

I wish you luck though

Haha thanks. Hope I don't grow algae ?

He hehe someone's in a mood;) the trick is... if you want a beautiful planted tank? Spare no expense at start up doesn't have to be a Ferrari but don't want a Kia (no offense to Kia drivers).. a nice Toyota planted tank with leather seats. If you start out proper than you'll likely suceed. Sk3lly for instance did his research, got the proper systems in place and banged out a sweet tank.. i did it completely backwards and fought/fight/cry about algae. Only if I had known then what I know now... would have stuck with a betta and an anubias plant in a 5 gal... i know people will disagree.. I'm talking about a noteworthy high tech setup here, not saying low tech is to be laughed at, just talking full speed, high tech..

He hehe someone's in a mood;) the trick is... if you want a beautiful planted tank? Spare no expense at start up doesn't have to be a Ferrari but don't want a Kia (no offense to Kia drivers).. a nice Toyota planted tank with leather seats. If you start out proper than you'll likely suceed. Sk3lly for instance did his research, got the proper systems in place and banged out a sweet tank.. i did it completely backwards and fought/fight/cry about algae. Only if I had known then what I know now... would have stuck with a betta and an anubias plant in a 5 gal... i know people will disagree.. I'm talking about a noteworthy high tech setup here, not saying low tech is to be laughed at, just talking full speed, high tech..

Not in a mood at all haha. I actually tried to help this time lol!!

Your tanks are not as bad as you make out Brookster. I may not be on the forum as often to comment but im still following and watching your progress. I think your tanks are looking better than ever

Not in a mood at all haha. I actually tried to help this time lol!!

Your tanks are not as bad as you make out Brookster. I may not be on the forum as often to comment but im still following and watching your progress. I think your tanks are looking better than ever

I know man, sugar coating is overrated haha. It's a shame you can't get in more posts, lots to be gained from your knowledge of the planted tank.. oh yah not to mention keeping a pair of gbr alive for....has to be over a year?! I appreciate it... not nearly where I want them but the crying has stopped anyways..

Back
Top Bottom