Estimative index, confused about K levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jestes

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK, so I downloaded Chuck's planted aquarium calculator to double check that I was dosing my tank properly. Using the figures for the EI index on a 55 gallon tank I found here: Estimative Index Dosing Guide - Fertilizing - Aquatic Plant Central I came up with the following values:

N: 8.25
Suggested target level: 5

P: 1.95
Suggested target level: 1

K: 7.68
Suggested target level: 20

I'm also adding potassium sulfate. Here's how I came up with the K figure: 5.21 from KNO3, 1.55 from K2SO4, and I'm guessing .97 from the KH2PO4. The calculator didn't have that one, but .97 was half of the phosphate, and there's 2X as much P as there is K in the KH2PO4.

So, the only thing I can come up with is maybe the calculator is wanting too much K in the tank. Don't plants want around a 8:8:1 ratio of NKP?

Sorry if this question has been covered already, but I'm just trying to make sure I understand everything here.

Please note that Chuck's Calculator is suggesting target levels to maintain in an aquarium and is not in any way based on EI.

One more point: Because K testing is expensive, it is not usually done. Experience had shown that excessive K (eg using water from a KCl ion-exchanger) has no bad effects on fish & plants, the normal routine in EI is to overdose on the K. Therefore, the K dosing is usually higher than the theoretical requirement. <Well, you have an over abundance of N & P as well .... that is why the 50% weekly pwc to reset things.>

Back
Top Bottom