Exactly How Many WPG do i Have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,

I have recently set up an old 20gal tank, bought everything new and the only thing i didn't buy was the tank itself (just the glass)
I decided to go down the high light route as i always loved the heavily planted tanks that i'd seen.

I purchased a 96W Current Satelite light fixture off e-bay and at first i thought it would be 96W so i'd have 4.8wpg.
I was aiming for around 3wpg but that light was the only suitable, affordable one i could find. (It's a nightmare trying to find one in the UK)

This light comes with a SmartPaq 10,000k/460nm bulb and a lunar light 'moon white'
So exactly how many wpg do i have at my disposal?
I am lead to belive it's somewhere around 2.8?

TIA

Since that bulb is a 50/50 bulb. Only half the light is available to your plants. So 2.8 watts per gallon sounds about right.

Yeah i thought that's what it was.

Also i would like a thick, lush, green carpet so what would be available to me with this light?
At first i thought Glosso but that needs slightly more light i've read?
I also like HC how would that fair in a tank with DIY CO2, Eco Complete, 2.8wpg?
(I'm, also planning on dosing with ferts but i need a better understanding yet)

Their web site says that you have a combination lamp. It's 1/2 daylight (10,000K) and one half actinic (460 nm). Most references say that the actinic will have no real effect on your plants, it's more suited for marine coral.

If it's safe to assume that you have 1/2 of the wattage - 96/2=48 Watts useable light for your plants, then you have somewhere in the neighborhood of (48*1.3)/20=3.12 wpg

The 1.3 multiplier is what I have found most people seem to agree on for the higher output of the pc lamps.

HTH

I would recommend using Wizard of Ozz's article to get an estimate of your lighting level. Only compare half of the bulb's light to the listed levels since you're using a 50/50 bulb.

I grow Glosso with 220Watts PC over a 110 gallon tank. It stays pretty much at the level of the gravel. I personally find Glosso easier then Anubias to grow. I'm probably the only one.

If you find yourself needing more light, you can always replace the 50/50 bulb with a daylight one. You'll probably like how the 50/50 works for you, give it a try first. 96w PC over 20 gallons is A LOT.

You want ferts. Check the stickies and whatnot, ask any questions you still have afterwards. You want N(itrogen), P(hosphate), K(Potassium), and Trace, at a minumium. Some products contain more then 1 of these. You may decide you want a GH Booster or somesuch.

MarkP said:
I grow Glosso with 220Watts PC over a 110 gallon tank. It stays pretty much at the level of the gravel. I personally find Glosso easier then Anubias to grow. I'm probably the only one.

I run at about 2.7wpg, and i could grow glosso like crazy, yet my anubias nana kept melting, i had it tied to driftwood, was getting lots of light, co2, good dosing... and the glosso grew but the anubias didnt. So, i am going to have to say i found glosso easier than anubias too.

WaterPond said:
I run at about 2.7wpg, and i could grow glosso like crazy, yet my anubias nana kept melting, i had it tied to driftwood, was getting lots of light, co2, good dosing... and the glosso grew but the anubias didnt. So, i am going to have to say i found glosso easier than anubias too.

Really? I've lost several varieties in 3 different tanks with different dosing methods. I would see no or minor growth, and it would slowly rot away, the Rhizome often ending up squishy and white?

If it's the same issue, I am having some success after adding some Magnesium Sulfate to my trace mix. The Nana started to die as normal, I trimmed off ALL the leaves and the rotted parts of the rhizome, and added Magnesium. Over the next week or so I got 4-5 new, tiny leaves.

Sorry for the Hijack.

Back
Top Bottom