Fertilizer opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knutsen1122

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is a good all around fertilizer? I have recently used root tabs but want something else to boost growth and color. I have a very low tech setup. This is my first time with a planted tank so I'm still learning. My current plant setup is....

• Cryptocoryn lutea
• Anubias nana
• Flame moss
• corkscrew vallisneria
• hygrophilia difformis
• dwarf sagittaria
• Anacharis

I'll post a picture in a little bit so you can see quantities.

Apparently I have VERY low light. I'm going to try the comprehensive and try to get an led ASAP.

Fertilizers

Hello knut...

The best fertilizer is the one the fish produce. This is what I use in my low tech, planted tanks. I just feed a variety of foods: Flaked from Cobalt, frozen from San Fran Bay, tubifex and algae from Hikari and Tetra and a little minced garlic from Spice World.

If you have a substantial number of fish, they'll provide the ferts. Make sure your lighting is sufficient for the plants and change the tank water regularly to replenish minerals and you'll have a nicely planted tank.

B

+1 for BBrad! I do a 25% water change every week, i started doing this a month ago.. And man, the results are amazing! I have 2-3 new leaves on every single one of my anubias nana everyweek!

For my amazon's i still use roottabs, since they are heavy root-feeders. Further on I also dose easylife profito everyweek for overall growth..

But frequent water changes are really the key to success :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree with bbrad, its rare that a low light tank needs any fertilizers. However it won't hurt to add any assuming you keep control of your nitrates. Some comprehensive ferts have potassium nitrate so can have an effect on your levels.

We'll my crypt lutea and wisteria seem to be doing well, I've even seen new sprouts. It's the others that are a little on the yellow side. Shouldn't fertilizer help when I'm lacking the light?

Back
Top Bottom