Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brad15

Aquarium Advice Activist
Think a fluval fx6 is overkill for a 40 breeder planted? Or the more the merrier?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

WAYYYY too much.

Don't get me wrong, if you CAN get one and are set in your ways, then go for it.

But be aware, a lot of planted tank owners with powerful canisters have problems with too much flow.

In all honesty, a 206/306 would be more than fine for a 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thanks

No. Just planning a 40. And want to do it right the first time.

Then you don't need such a hardcore filter. A regular canister will do, like the 306 mentioned or another filter in that class.

Then you don't need such a hardcore filter. A regular canister will do, like the 306 mentioned or another filter in that class.

Exactly, a 306 is rated for 300l (80G).

That's twice the volume of your PLANTED tank.

It's absolutely fine.

Sweet. Thanks.

Tank Filtration

Hello brad...

A filter system with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of 4 times the volume of the tank in gallons is sufficient as long as you're changing half the tank water weekly. The filter is nothing more than a means of mixing oxygen into the tank water. The weekly, large water change is the true water filter.

B

The filter does a whole lot more than add oxygen to the water.... The ammonia and nitrite that the bacteria in the filter mitigates will kill the fish in short order. The nitrate that builds up will not. The only way water changes could be considered a "filter" is if you were changing the water every day in place of running a filter.

4x an hour is the minimum recommendation by most. 8-10x is the high end of common recommendations.

Hello brad...

A filter system with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of 4 times the volume of the tank in gallons is sufficient as long as you're changing half the tank water weekly. The filter is nothing more than a means of mixing oxygen into the tank water. The weekly, large water change is the true water filter.

B

Is your answer to cancer to do a 50% water change as well?

My god... Change the bleedin' channel.

In my experience there is no such thing as over filtration. On the Fx, you can turn the output down to your liking.. I run an Fx5 on my 55gallon planted with no troubles.. You could possibly even fix up a Diy spray bar to disperse the output flow.

Thats what I was kind thinking. Like in saltwater. The bigger the skimmer the better in most cases.

In my experience there is no such thing as over filtration. On the Fx, you can turn the output down to your liking.. I run an Fx5 on my 55gallon planted with no troubles.. You could possibly even fix up a Diy spray bar to disperse the output flow.

You can damage the motor if you restrict the flow too much, the spray bar is a better alternative.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom