First Planted Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flipmikeskater3

Aquarium Advice Freak
this is my first attempt to a planted aquarium, everything is going great so far

What do you guys think?
It's a 29 gallon aquarium
I used caribsea Eco-complete under my gravel
I only have a 17 watt, 20" zoo med flora sun max plant growth t8 bulb

For livestock
-14 neon tetras
-5 harlequin rasboras
-5 serape tetras
-4 cory catfish
-1 male Betta

So do you think I need more light?
Is the fish selection good?
Also so I look into a DIY co2 dispenser?
How long to leave my bulb on each day?
Any fertilizers I should look into?

Thanks guys

Attachments

• image-2825617073.jpg
    image-2825617073.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 88
Looks really really good. You did a fine job. Lights on 8 hours a day. Look into pps-pro dosing, it's getting a lot of recommendations on here. I just started using it as well. Also, look into some flourish excel for a source of carbon. Maybe some root tabs if you have any heavy root feeders. You can mess with co2 injection if you want, but I think your tank looks great and would do just fine as low tech.

https://www.sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home

Edit: be careful with the excel though, it tends to actually melt some plants, mainly Val's along with some few others. A quick google search will give you an idea of which ones so you can compare to your plant list.

As for light... are your plants growing well now? Better lighting will always get better growth if there is CO2 or liquid carbon use along with a good fertilizing regime. So if you want to spend the money to upgrade on lights then go for it.

As for DIY CO2 I'm no help but using CO2 or liquid carbon (Excel, Glutaraldehyde, or API CO2 Booster) is really needed when you start going into higher light. Liquid carbons must be used daily as they only stay in solution 12-24 hours. I run my high light tank on liquid carbon and you can view pic's via the links at the bottom of the post.

Ferts are also needed when using higher light and CO2/liquid carbon. The cheapest is going with dry ferts. I dose PPS-Pro, using this... Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

I use these dosing bottles... Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums

Here is a good thread explaining PPS-Pro dosing, but only read the openning post, not all the posts afterwards... Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

Thanks for the advice and I've only had the plants in for a week now so havnt had much growth at all yet.

Thinking about getting Zoo Med AquaSun T-5 HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hood
It holds 2 24 watt t5 bulbs would that be a good addition to my tank?

I want my plants to grow really big

Thanks for the advice and I've only had the plants in for a week now so havnt had much growth at all yet.

Thinking about getting Zoo Med AquaSun T-5 HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hood
It holds 2 24 watt t5 bulbs would that be a good addition to my tank?

I want my plants to grow really big

I don't know how good the Zoo Med fixture is but a 2 bulb fixture is what you want. Does it come with bulbs? If so what is their K rating?

And as far as ferts and liquid co2 definetly going to try and get some next week

You might want to save some more money and get this which is essentially what Excel is but way cheaper.... Glutaraldehyde Cold Sterilization Solution 14 day 1 Gallon: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific. You mix the Glut with 1-1/2 gallons of water to get 2-1/2 gallons of Glut (same strenght as Excel) but only $27. It comes with a small activator bottle taped to the big bottle of glut and you want to throw that away immediately. Never use it. Also the mixture needs to be stored in a total light blocking bottle like the Glut comes in because light will break down the Glut and it won't work.

But need to tell you anacharis is one of the plants that any type of liquid carbon will melt. Some Vals are sensitive to it also. But you need either the liquid carbon or CO2 if you go with higher lights and ferts.

Rivercats said:
I don't know how good the Zoo Med fixture is but a 2 bulb fixture is what you want. Does it come with bulbs? If so what is their K rating?

It dosnt have bulbs but I was thinking about getting one 5500k but and one 6700k bulb, does that sound good or should I keep them the same?
each 24watts

I don't think you'll like the 5500K bulb, the light will be really dim looking. I'd go with 6700K for both. Also if you don't mind the price Geisemann makes really good bulbs.

I just got the ge starcoat 6500k's a few weeks back and really like them. I was debating on which to get and figured I'd try them out, they are less than half the price of geisemanns, ati, aquamedic, and similar.

Back
Top Bottom