Fish keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've lost 3 tiger barbs over the past 3 days and today they were at the surface gasping for air. During the day with the co2 on they're all fine. Could it be possible that the plants are putting out enough carbon at night to kill the fish? I put an aerator in the tank and after 15 minutes the fish were fine. I'm going to buy a timer today and set it so it goes on when the lights go out.

I've lost 3 tiger barbs over the past 3 days and today they were at the surface gasping for air. During the day with the co2 on they're all fine. Could it be possible that the plants are putting out enough carbon at night to kill the fish? I put an aerator in the tank and after 15 minutes the fish were fine. I'm going to buy a timer today and set it so it goes on when the lights go out.

Did you not have an aerator before, if not it's possible. I haven't used co2 before but it definitely sounds like a lack off oxygen. You'll need to find a balance that suits fish and plants. Have you got a specimen plant that requires large amounts of co2. I prefer having the fish provide the co2. Your right that the plants use the oxygen at night and give out co2. This might of pushed the oxygen levels over the edge for the fish

Did you not have an aerator before, if not it's possible. I haven't used co2 before but it definitely sounds like a lack off oxygen. You'll need to find a balance that suits fish and plants. Have you got a specimen plant that requires large amounts of co2. I prefer having the fish provide the co2. Your right that the plants use the oxygen at night and give out co2. This might of pushed the oxygen levels over the edge for the fish

I'm thinking so I wish it wouldn't have taken me fish dying to figure it out and no I did t have an aerator just surface movement.

Yes plants release and lights give oxygen during the day. Plants absorb co2 during the day. Also water circulation gives oxygen because the water goes to the top and takes the oxygen. The fish could die If poor circulation in the water at night. I have a small power head facing upwards.

Attachments

• image-2224264464.jpg
    image-2224264464.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom