Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Asian Biotope Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
My knowledge in fishkeeping keeps getting higher as time goes on, and as time goes on, I want my tank to look more and more natural. I am going to convert my tank over to an Asian biotope. That means only fish and plants (for the most part) from Asia. Most of my plants are currently of an Asian origin: Crypts, Java Fern, Cyperus helferi, and Rotala rotundifolia. I'll take out my Ludwigia repens and Amazon Swords at a later date. I plan on adding new Cryptocoryne (the Crypts that I got from gel packs have not done nearly as well as the ones I got from Peabody's Paradise), some Hygrophila (one that would contrast Cryptocoryne well), Blyxa japonica, more Java Fern, another type of stem plant (Rotala/Pogostemon), and possibly some Corkscrew Val. I haven't decided on a foreground plant yet, but I won't take up the entire foreground.

In terms of fish, I have a good idea of what I'm going to get. Kuhli Loaches, Panda Garra (more of them from my current 2), and Harlequin Rasboras for sure. I'll get some type of small Gourami, and maybe another schooling fish (haven't found a good one that'd fit well in the community). The stock would look something like this in my tank:
6 Kuhli Loaches
4 Panda Garra
4 Assassin Snails
10 Harlequin Rasboras
2 Small Gourami of some type
6-8 of another schooling fish (small--under 2.5")

In December, I'll add pressurized CO2 to my tank. It figures to be a good combo with PPS-Pro ferts and T5 HO lighting. I hope to make this project a success!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was looking once at an Asian themed stocking plan, which I believe had gouramis with White Cloud Mountain minnows, among others.

If my memory is correct ... The whiter color might be nice and don't they school well?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I was looking once at an Asian themed stocking plan, which I believe had gouramis with White Cloud Mountain minnows, among others.

If my memory is correct ... The whiter color might be nice and don't they school well?

They are a nice looking fish, but they like cooler temperatures (71 degrees F at the highest), so I don't think they'd fit in with the stock I listed above.

Harlequin Rasboras are great fish !

Cherry Barbs are nice as well. Esp if you make sure to have the bronze females. The males almost glow around the girls.

Threadfin Rainbows are Indonesianish. Lovely fish. Just need to keep them fed, tiny mouth/throat. 2-3 females to each male probably. The males' display is cool.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harlequin Rasboras are great fish !

Cherry Barbs are nice as well. Esp if you make sure to have the bronze females. The males almost glow around the girls.

Threadfin Rainbows are Indonesianish. Lovely fish. Just need to keep them fed, tiny mouth/throat. 2-3 females to each male probably. The males' display is cool.

I do have 3 Threadfins at the moment, but I've had trouble keeping the females. Plus, they're rather expensive in the region where I live, so I don't know if I'd want to get any more. About the Cherry Barbs, would they contrast the Harlequin Rasboras well? Also, how many should I get for a group?

For the other school what about Odessa barbs, rhombo barbs, 5 banded barbs or snakeskin barbs? All pretty and not very common.

I do have 3 Threadfins at the moment, but I've had trouble keeping the females. Plus, they're rather expensive in the region where I live, so I don't know if I'd want to get any more. About the Cherry Barbs, would they contrast the Harlequin Rasboras well? Also, how many should I get for a group?

Well I had both, you still get some red and gold in both species, but body type is different and since Cherry Barb males look completely different than females that gives you more looks.

I'd recommend 6-12 depending how much room you have. Perhaps a few more females than males.

Sorry to hear about your females. I had 3 females and 2 males in a heavily planted tank. I crush food for them and feed frozen baby brine shrimp.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I may be repeating myself but ... Was at the fish store today realizing there is a lot from Asia.

Laos Pygmy striped loach, for cleanup. They are tiny and silly and get all the food out of the cracks.

Burmese gold ring danio (danio tinwinii), a big group since they are tiny.

I think dwarf chain loaches are Asian.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! I'll take them into consideration. Now to talk about the good old plants! I plan on having the following plants in my Asian aquascape:

Downoi (foreground plant)
Blyxa japonica
Rotala rotundifolia (love this plant)
Rotala wallichi
Corkscrew Val
Hygrophila difformis
Crypt wendtii (green)
Crypt wendtii "FL Sunset"
Crypt wendtii "red" and "bronze"
Cyperus helferi
Java Fern
A type of moss

I think these plants will set on nice contrast to one another. I'll have on large piece of driftwood w/ Java Fern and a smaller piece w/ Java Fern. I'll also have some lava rock to finish off the hardscape.

Update:

Around Thanksgiving, I will be adding 1" of gravel to my tank, while rescaping and taking out some plants. This is the first step in making my Asian biotope a success.

Update:

Around Thanksgiving, I will be adding 1" of gravel to my tank, while rescaping and taking out some plants. This is the first step in making my Asian biotope a success.

If you want Loaches, why not go with sand ? It's easier for them to burrow and search for food.

If you want Loaches, why not go with sand ? It's easier for them to burrow and search for food.

That would be a good idea, but I already have a 20 lb. bag of fine-grade Eco-Complete. I think the loaches should be fine with this since it isn't sharp or anything.

Update: I took out the Ludwigia repens today. It was sort of an eye sore, and it didn't fit in either. This upcoming Friday, I'll be adding more substrate to the tank. I'll also be taking out some plants, and putting other ones in new places.

You could have an Indian fern floating at the top. Once the Indian fern grows humongous it's very pretty.

You could have an Indian fern floating at the top. Once the Indian fern grows humongous it's very pretty.

Great idea! That'd look so much better than all of the ugly Duckweed that is in my tank. I'll replace the Duckweed with that.

Have any of you ever kept Dwarf Gourami before? If so, should I get a pair (two males), a male-female pair, or just a male? I don't want there to be any aggression

I think I have compiled a fish stock that would be colorful and interesting.

6-7 Checkered Barbs
10-12 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Dwarf Gourami
3-4 Panda Garra
6-7 Kuhli Loaches
2 Assassin Snails

What do you all think? Overstocked? Just right? Great looking?

I have 2 dwarf gouramis in my 10 gallon. They're both males, and luckily there is minimum aggression (this shouldn't have worked out but I got lucky), however 4-5 gouramis from the same tank should be good since dwarf gouramis form a hierarchy. I have to say it's bit overstocked but I like my tanks overstocked too, just keep up on water changes and heavily plant the tank.

I have 2 dwarf gouramis in my 10 gallon. They're both males, and luckily there is minimum aggression (this shouldn't have worked out but I got lucky), however 4-5 gouramis from the same tank should be good since dwarf gouramis form a hierarchy. I have to say it's bit overstocked but I like my tanks overstocked too, just keep up on water changes and heavily plant the tank.

Or you could have a bunch of dead or injured Gouramis. Yours may be fine, but I would never recommend more than 1 Gourami to a tank, unless it's a mated pair ( and they may still fight ) , or the tank is long with lots of plants.
And they may still fight.

Just read thru all the threads of people with dead or injured Gouramis on here.

Heck at the store, people would point out "rounded fins" and exclaim " that must be a female". We'd have to tell them, all were male and they'd "trimmed" the less dominant males' fins and sometimes also the Feelers.

Or you could have a bunch of dead or injured Gouramis. Yours may be fine, but I would never recommend more than 1 Gourami to a tank, unless it's a mated pair ( and they may still fight ) , or the tank is long with lots of plants.
And they may still fight.

Just read thru all the threads of people with dead or injured Gouramis on here.

Heck at the store, people would point out "rounded fins" and exclaim " that must be a female". We'd have to tell them, all were male and they'd "trimmed" the less dominant males' fins and sometimes also the Feelers.

Getting only one gourami seems like a good idea then. With this stock, I want to get a nice diversity, but at the same time, not overstock. The main point of this biotope is to have a beautiful aquascape with interesting fish. I've thought about invertebrates like shrimp and what not, but I don't know if the Dwarf Gourami would bother them. For another matter, I'm wondering if they'd be long lived or not (Amano Shrimp?). It might look too busy if I have a Harlequin Rasbora school and a Checkered Barb school. Harlequin Rasboras are a must in Asian tanks, but at the same time, Checkered Barbs have nice looking scales that grab your attention. Decisions decisions...

Back
Top Bottom