Fluval FX6, how to go about this beast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zimmanski

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today after having a rough week my girlfriend and I went out to one of our favorite LFS to relax and waste some time, well, I came home with a FX6. Pretty good pick-me-up right? Anyway I started to set this thing up and it occurred to me that I probably should have planned this out a little more before hand so I'm looking for suggestions. Previously on my 75 gallon I had a fuval 406 with inline co2 atomizer, I don't know of any inline equipment that would fit the massive hoses on the fx6, does anyone have any ideas on how to diffuse co2 with this setup? Also, if anyone has a suggestion on where in the tank to put the intake and outflow I would appreciate it

Today after having a rough week my girlfriend and I went out to one of our favorite LFS to relax and waste some time, well, I came home with a FX6. Pretty good pick-me-up right? Anyway I started to set this thing up and it occurred to me that I probably should have planned this out a little more before hand so I'm looking for suggestions. Previously on my 75 gallon I had a fuval 406 with inline co2 atomizer, I don't know of any inline equipment that would fit the massive hoses on the fx6, does anyone have any ideas on how to diffuse co2 with this setup? Also, if anyone has a suggestion on where in the tank to put the intake and outflow I would appreciate it

Fx6? I didnt know there was an fx6? Do you mean fx5?

Its an updated fx5, supposedly there were some defects in the fx5.

Attachments

• image-452723637.jpg
    image-452723637.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 191
I have 2 FX5's and nothing is made to fit those tubings. You will have to really think outside the box and come up with a DIY idea to be able to make it work with CO2.

The biggest problem with the FX5's is micro bubble issues in the tank.

I have 2 FX5's and nothing is made to fit those tubings. You will have to really think outside the box and come up with a DIY idea to be able to make it work with CO2.

The biggest problem with the FX5's is micro bubble issues in the tank.

That's odd, I never heard anything about micro bubbles. It seems that thinking outside the box and creativity are things that aren't coming to me as quickly as I would like haha. I really liked having the co2 outside the tank, looks like I'm going to have to DIY a reactor of some sort but I'm having a hard time grasping the concept of it

The micro bubble issue was a big thing. Sometimes they would say it was the lid design, then there was something else technical that was causing it, if you used too much media or the wrong kind of media it would cause it. There were also of po'd people. I had 2 running and then when they were over a year old they started doing it and I wasn't doing anything any different. And once they started it was a joke trying to get them to stop. If you have your receipt, had registered them online, AND you happened to get a nice customer service rep they would often send a new slightly differently designed lid. It was just a joke. I was told I couldn't use purgen as it packed too fine. Now I had used it for over a year.

Anyway register the darn thing and keep your receipt just incase!

The micro bubble issue was a big thing. Sometimes they would say it was the lid design, then there was something else technical that was causing it, if you used too much media or the wrong kind of media it would cause it. There were also of po'd people. I had 2 running and then when they were over a year old they started doing it and I wasn't doing anything any different. And once they started it was a joke trying to get them to stop. If you have your receipt, had registered them online, AND you happened to get a nice customer service rep they would often send a new slightly differently designed lid. It was just a joke. I was told I couldn't use purgen as it packed too fine. Now I had used it for over a year.

Anyway register the darn thing and keep your receipt just incase!

Very interesting, I don't know if the fx5 had this feature but the fx6 is supposed to shut down daily and automatically purge and trapped air in the canister, maybe that will help. My 406 gets those microbubbles if I pack too much poly fill in it so maybe that's the key

Well on my 304 the intake tubing is the clear tubing you can get at lowes/home depot and I attached an inline DIY reactor. Works great no problems. I'm sure there is clear tubing big enough to fit the FX5. I hate the ribbed hosing anyway, just harbors crap and detritus for me.

Yes the FX5 shut down daily for purge air trapped in the canister. There was a flaw in the lid design but unless you registered it, had your receipt, and it was within a certain amount of time you were screwed.

Well on my 304 the intake tubing is the clear tubing you can get at lowes/home depot and I attached an inline DIY reactor. Works great no problems. I'm sure there is clear tubing big enough to fit the FX5. I hate the ribbed hosing anyway, just harbors crap and detritus for me.

I already changed the outflow tube to accommodate a DIY spray bar, and I picked up some stuff to make a reactor a little while ago, but I'm not real confident in it to tell the truth. I'm still looking for options. I tried finding the things needed to turn the 1" tube into 2 1/2" tubes but couldn't figure it out completely. The search continues.

Yes the FX5 shut down daily for purge air trapped in the canister. There was a flaw in the lid design but unless you registered it, had your receipt, and it was within a certain amount of time you were screwed.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll register it today then

Better to be safe than sorry. That is the only Fluval canister that ever gave me any problems.

I already changed the outflow tube to accommodate a DIY spray bar, and I picked up some stuff to make a reactor a little while ago, but I'm not real confident in it to tell the truth. I'm still looking for options. I tried finding the things needed to turn the 1" tube into 2 1/2" tubes but couldn't figure it out completely. The search continues.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll register it today then

I encountered the same issue. I just ended up using a larger nozzle I found at lowes and the tubing slipped right over it. It was frustrating getting the pieces ill give you that but worth it, works great.

I encountered the same issue. I just ended up using a larger nozzle I found at lowes and the tubing slipped right over it. It was frustrating getting the pieces ill give you that but worth it, works great.

Do you have a picture of what you did? I would really like to see it if you do. I hooked up my DIY reactor late last night and ended up with a bunch of water everywhere haha, I think the glue I used didn't seal correctly so I'll be working to figure this out again today

After 6 trips to Home Depots this weekend I think i have a solution that I'm mostly happy with, I think I'll try the reactor again sometime in the future when I have a better stand to hide it and a better idea of the whole thing. I split the 1" hose into two 5/8" hoses using a PVC T and hose barbs and I feel much more confident that my floors will stay dry with this one. Its not pretty or fancy but it should get the job done. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image-2513538986.jpg
    image-2513538986.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 163
  • image-1660698384.jpg
    image-1660698384.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 167
  • image-3596954239.jpg
    image-3596954239.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 230
  • image-2634101072.jpg
    image-2634101072.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,082
Hey if it works that's all that matters!!! You won't have any problems with the CO2 not being distributed throughout the tank!

Oh mine looks nothing like that lol. I used gorilla glue as a seal, not the best idea and not the cleanest, but it worked! I had a leak early on but I sealed itself in a week. Mine utilizes the the 2 1/2 inch tubing from a gravel vac attached to PVC. Ill put up a pic later but for now ill show you the vid I followed
http://youtu.be/S7DizERmyI0

Btw 2 1/2in tubes does not equal 1 1in tube in terms of flow capability. Actually, you would need 4 1/2 in tubes to have the same flow of a single 1in tube.

Back
Top Bottom