frustrated with driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggalz

Aquarium Advice Freak
i bought some java fern to plant on driftwood...i've had one piece for two weeks..soaking..i started boiling it yesterday..the thing still doesnt sink..i bought another piece this one mopani..it atleast sinks...tannins are still seeping out and this is taking forever...grrrr

giggalz said:
i bought some java fern to plant on driftwood...i've had one piece for two weeks..soaking..i started boiling it yesterday..the thing still doesnt sink..i bought another piece this one mopani..it atleast sinks...tannins are still seeping out and this is taking forever...grrrr

Ya driftwoods are like that. How big are they? And have u tried attaching/lashing ur first piece of driftwood down with a piece of rock?

it hasnt even made it into the tank because it still leeches out tannins..the one piece i will have too..the other piece..mopani i probably wont..not that big i dont think...their both about 7 to 8 inches long..the mopani is small..like a stick...just maybe 2 inches around...the other is little bit thicker...

Some wood will never sink, boiling the wood or running it through the dishwasher (no soap) can help release tannins, as stated fresh carbon in the filter change biweekly can help get rid of the color.

The dishwasher eh, now there is a good idea. It would be a great one if the risks to my physical well being weren't so great :deadhorse::whistle:

Last edited:
The dishwasher eh, now there is a good idea. It would be a great one if the risks to my physical well being weren't so great :deadhorse::whistle:

That is the downside of that plan, I wait till the Mrs has a business trip. If she knew what I have put in the dish washer I would be a dead man.

I had large pieces of Malaysian driftwood. I boiled them for 3 hours and then soaked them in a 5 gallon bucket for almost a month. I probably removed about 90% of the tannins. I put them in my tank and the water had a slight tinge to it but nothing bad, but i still wanted the crystal clear water. Like you i posted something and then someone directed me toward Seachem Purigen, i got that and the bags that come with it and stuck them right in my HOB filter compartment and withing 8 hours my tank was crystal clear again. The good thing is it can be used over and over again cause it's "rechargeable" Some people have had success with it. I know i love it.

But it does take along time to really get rid of all tannins. 20-25% PWC really help too. Just give it time.

As far as wood actually sinking, i've hear of people having to wait 3 month for it to sink, just tie a big rock to it and leave it in a bucket.

A common suggestion is to find a piece of slate, drill a couple of holes in it and screw it to the driftwood. Instant sink-o.

i've heard of the purigen..i think i'm gonna have to get it depending on the price of it...kinda mad at myself for rescaping all of the rocks in my tank..which is hard to do in a tall tank..and get everything to sit still and not fall off suddenly on any fish..

btw boiling driftwood really stinks lol..not sure i want to change my filter..it cost me 30ish bucks for filters..and i think i got two out of it..wasnt worth it at all...i might cry if i woke up and found diarrhea water in my tank..my cichlids my not like it either..

confused on the purigen..is it a bag or a liquid..i'm not seeing anything clear as to what i would be getting?

i've heard of the purigen..i think i'm gonna have to get it depending on the price of it...kinda mad at myself for rescaping all of the rocks in my tank..which is hard to do in a tall tank..and get everything to sit still and not fall off suddenly on any fish..

btw boiling driftwood really stinks lol..not sure i want to change my filter..it cost me 30ish bucks for filters..and i think i got two out of it..wasnt worth it at all...i might cry if i woke up and found diarrhea water in my tank..my cichlids my not like it either..

Depending on the cichlids they may love it. There are also benefits to tannins, they have antibacterial and antifungal properties along with helping to inhibit algae growth, so it's not all bad. then again I have seen blackwater tanks the color of strong tea making it nearly impossible to view the inhabitants, it's just matters of personal preference.

I can't comment on the Purigen as I have never used it, I try to let nature do it's thing in my tanks, so chemical removers and such don't get used.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay i was coaching. Ok, Purigen is a granular substance, it comes in bottles and they sell bags for it as well. Depending on the size of your tank.

Amazon.com: Seachem Purigen 250mL: Kitchen & Dining

you can buy at alot of online stores i just wanted to give you an idea of what it is. Some of them come with a bag, others don't. I bought two bags and one 250ml bottle and it was enough to clear up my 55gal. I'm sure you can get away with just using a stocking, but i have a habit of buying things so i bought the bag they recommended.

Sorry for the delay i was coaching. Ok, Purigen is a granular substance, it comes in bottles and they sell bags for it as well. Depending on the size of your tank.

Amazon.com: Seachem Purigen 250mL: Kitchen & Dining

you can buy at alot of online stores i just wanted to give you an idea of what it is. Some of them come with a bag, others don't. I bought two bags and one 250ml bottle and it was enough to clear up my 55gal. I'm sure you can get away with just using a stocking, but i have a habit of buying things so i bought the bag they recommended.

thank you..i bought one that had a bag...

Back
Top Bottom