glosso question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazycat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok--it's my second attemp with glosso. i spent 3 hours yesterday cutting runners into individual plantlets, and carefully planting the plantlets with tweezers. (keep your fingers crossed...)

my question is this...i planted some of the glosso near a patch of hemianthus callitrichoides. is there going to be a conflict between the 2 plants? the hemianthus is new, and the patch is still small, but i'm hoping it will start to spread. will either of the 2 inhibit the growth of the other? can they coexist in the same place? or will one choke the other? it's not too late to move the glosso plantlets, but i'd love it if i could have a varied carpet...

ideas?

You can absolutely have a varied carpet. Naturally, being living things one species will out compete the other. What I would do is make a boundary using some clear mylar strips and insert vertically in the gravel bed. You can shape this in any pattern you like as mylar is very flexible. This will prevent either from over stepping its bounds. :wink:

i'd rather have them grow into eachother naturally...do you think this will pose a problem?

No problem Cat. It just means you might be putting in some additional maintenence to keep the look you want.

Sure thing CompMage. Mylar can also be used for terracing the substrate.

One more thing Cat.... As the plants spread out they should grow right to the boundary giving a very contoured look. If done properly the mylar would never be seen. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom