Going low tech for BN tank, need plant help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to change my BN tank to a low tech tank, No CO2, low dosing and such. I will probably run either a 15 watts NO or 1, 20 watt screw in to avoid the worst algaes, BBA and string algae.

First, will these plants grow:
Anubias, Crypts, pearlweed, Water Sprite, Christmas moss?

Second, I can use any advice anyone can give as far as lighting, fertilizing, etc as I will have plenty of plants but only the male and female BN, maybe a second male.

10 gallon tank, AC HOB (might use Aquaview on other tank), Gravel substrate, want lots of air for BN so probably tunning airstone most of the time.

Please help.

With only 15-20 watts over a 10gallon you're looking at strictly low light. The Anubias and Crypts will definately grow, the Christmas Moss with probably grow but excruciatingly slowly, and the Pearlweed and Water Sprite are iffy.

You'll probably only need to dose Micros and Potassium with the weekly water change. If you start to see the Phosphates or Nitrates bottoming out you'll want to start dosing them as well.

Do you think that with the plant sI have in there that i could get away with just removing the the CO2 so the pH will stay above 7 and the plants should still survive without major algae problems? I don't mind more algae but I don't want to farm it either.

It is currently lit by a 48" shop fixture so getting about 30 watts or so. 20 inches of a 48" 80 total watts, so about 33 watts and most of the time it is above the tank a good 6 inches.

According to the calculator thing for smaller tanks it says I am sitting at medium light. 38 watts is the threshold for medium on the website. Might thiswork for a non-CO2 tank and not again have nothing but an algae farm?

This should probably work. You'll probably end up under medium light just because a shop light is intended to light a room and not a tank. That means that a lot of the light will be reflected out instead of just down. This makes it more likely that you'll be fine without CO2. Should give enough more light that your selection of plants will have a better chance of making it and growing well.

Back
Top Bottom