Hagen CO2 System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I just got my Hagen CO2 System set up in my 12g nanocube tank and I just wanted to give a quick review. So far, it seems like a great deal for less than $30. Quick set-up, comes with materials to make CO2 for 3 months (Refills are $6 for 3 months worth), and puts out a good amount of CO2. The ladder is usually full of bubbles, I'm guessing I'm getting a bubble every 30 seconds or less. Claims to be good for tanks up to 70 Liters, whatever those are :wink:

Less than $30?!? Somedays I hate Hagen...they are a Canadian company, that stuff is mostly made locally, and that C02 system is typically $50 here (even factoring in exchange, it should only be $36).

Yeah, thats sucks. Its a nice tille system for 20 gallon tanks and under though, I would have probably paid a little more if I had to, everything fits together so nice and looks so clean.

Its time to cash in on those exports you got going for you up there Toirtis!
Some of those timers would be sweet!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I havnt even seen a timer that has a ground in it down here... :evil:
Did I mention that there's a big GE plant in Kentucky.. :evil: :evil:

You have to have something on your want list that we can get cheaper down here!! LOL
I need those timers!!! 8O 8O 8O
And yes we do have dat dare electifIun stuff round dees parts! dangnit! :evil:

I like the hagen too. I have one on my 10 gallon. I bought some yeast from a brewing supply place (somebody told me beer and wine yeast lasts longer, testing it out) I fill it way higher with sugar than it recommends and add a little baking soda. You don't have to get their rip off refills, buying a box of baking soda and thing of yeast will cost less and last way longer.
Since I added the wine yeast that thing is bubbling like crazy!

also, baking soda isn't required. in fact as long as you don't have really soft tap water, you don't need baking soda at all. yeast actually prefer a slightly acidic environment. baking soda provides some minerals for the yeast, but mainly it slows down fermentation...which Hagen uses to extend CO2 production from their tiny canister...however it slows CO2 rate. So you get the same CO2, but it takes longer...which means you may not be hitting enough CO2 in the tank for higher light situations.

However with your 12g, 24watt 50/50 bulb, you won't need lots of CO2, as you really only have 1wpg of usable light.

With this system should one worry about to much CO2 being produced at night? I'm guessing no but I have read around here somewhere that CO2 injection should be stopped at night.

TIA

CO2 being stopped at night is only possible with pressurized systems that are turned off with a timer.. the only practical way anyway..

Since installing this system I was disappointed with the included yeast as it wasn't producing bubbles at a noticeable rate. I rinsed the container and used some of my wife's baking yeast and it is now producing bubbles quickly. My only other question is about the included diffuser. Are the bubbles supposed to go all the way to the top immediately? When at the top of the diffuser are they supposed to be held there or just float to the top of the tank?

The diffuser is just there to increase the amount of time the bubbles staay underwater so that the CO2 has time to diffuse into the water. They eventually float to the top of the taank and pop, but by then most of the CO2 should be out.

BTW, maybe you didn't give their yeast enough time, because its pumping out bubbles just fine on mine.

I used the Hagen co2 system awhile back when I had my 55 planted.
I used it for about 6mo. and then made the 55 an African tank.
Now the Hagen is setting here in my way..lol

Tony Starks said:
The diffuser is just there to increase the amount of time the bubbles stay underwater so that the CO2 has time to diffuse into the water. They eventually float to the top of the tank and pop, but by then most of the CO2 should be out.

BTW, maybe you didn't give their yeast enough time, because its pumping out bubbles just fine on mine.

I wasn't sure if the five to ten seconds it takes the bubbles to make it up the ladder and to the surface of the water was enough time for the CO2 to diffuse. Thanks Tony.

I left the included yeast solution working for three days before I changed it the first time. After three days I was getting one bubble every minute or two. The second included batch did a little better providing a bubble every thirty seconds to one minute. The home made yeast solution is rocking though. I get bubbles every two to three seconds. I used the recipe provided in the Hagen CO2 Natural Plant System Receipe thread.

Back
Top Bottom