Help Oil Slick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Derekkaine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I have a recurrent problem with a full surface covering oil slick that appears every 2 days or so on top of the aquarium water.

I have a 10gallon tank with a fluval u2 filter.

It is a planted tank
- Java moss
- 1 broad leafed plant
- and about 8 single stalked plants

Its inhabitants are as follows:
- 2 Juli cory's 1.5cm
- 1 panda cory 1.5cm
- 1 betta 3cm
- 1 ottocinclus 2cm
- 1 black mystery snail

The plants are doing good imo
The fish dont seem to be gasping for air ever

My "Main" concern is how do i stop the oil slick from forming and are my fish in danger if i just leave the slick.

The only other thing i can point out is that for food i use "Wardley Sinking algae pellets" "Nutrafin max flakes" and sometimes i toss in some frozen brine shrimp.

The pellets and max flakes say they have oil in them as a ingredient
is this the primary culprit?

Attachments

• DSC04580.jpg
    DSC04580.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 117
i use to get the same thing on the top of my 45 gallon tank and i noticed it was from when my hands went into the water or if i didnt clean my net or other materials before putting them in, i got rid of it by installing a power head and directing the flow so it disturbed the whole top of the aquarium that worked for me

I never put my hands in the tank and if i do it always when i am doing a water change to adjust the plants if needed but anything else i use a net.

My concern is i know its not from my hands but rather is it just the food?
The nutrafin max has salmon oil and the wardley algae tablets have a oil product in them.

Is this the culprit?

If I see correctly in your picture you really don't have anything agitating the water's surface. If I'm correct the Fluval U2 is an underwater filter. I would add an air stone or HOB filter to create the surface agitation. Surface agitation will aid in oxygen transfer into the water and will clear up that "oil spill." I had an oily build up on the surface of my water a while back when my pumps were left off accidentally. Within seconds of turning the filters back on (I have 2 Penguin 350 HOB's) the oil slick was gone.

i have the filter setup on the "B" setting which is the spray bar in the middle, i have a venturi tab i can put on the top spout which will cause alot of surface agitation.

Ill give it a try let you know how it works

Some fish foods can cause the slick I used to get it quite often with tetra biscuit thingys, could be something else but I shouldn't harm the fish you could use kitchen roll lie it flat on the tank and soak up the slick until it's disapeared

My bettas tanks get it too, from the food AND lack of agitation, but I just use a paper towel and drag it across the top.

Back
Top Bottom