Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2020, 11:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help with first tank and weird algae

Hello aquarium community. I need lots of help with my first tank that I have had for about 4 months approaching 5 months. For my first tank I bought a 29 gallon tank and a 700 cascade penn plax canister filter off Amazon as well as a NICREW planted plus light. I decided to go with dirt as my substrate (dumb idea) as I imagined a heavily planted tank and has really allowed my ludwigia, and wisteria to grow out and cover most of the tank. I first capped off with a thin layer of white sand and then black rocks as I change my mind on switching from white to black substrate. To cut the chase Over the past few months Iíve been dealing with this black algae I believe to be staghorn and itís almost taken over the tank. Iíve tried dosing excel but I canít dose enough to kill it all. Iím almost to the point where I might just tear down my tank. Here are pictures to help. Any tips or advice would be amazing. My life stock includes 5 otos, 8 rasbora, 5 zebra danios, and 5 barbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24A3DE14-FEF1-4DD2-BA1D-154794F0BBD5.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	318137   Click image for larger version

Name:	1F41EB32-E849-49E6-BFC2-4F6021A7DAA0.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	318138  

Click image for larger version

Name:	24BCB4BF-F37B-4CD6-AF90-E08E57523175.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	318139   Click image for larger version

Name:	9170AA83-7EF9-46EC-9C7F-79881BDC9888.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	318140  

Old 09-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

How often do you dose the excel?

Old 09-20-2020, 08:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebankston View Post
How often do you dose the excel?
I dose only the amount recommended every day that I can directly on the algae through a syringe. Although if I’m being honest, I’m not home some days and quite busy so I would say it’s more like every other day. The algae turns red, then white and will go away but there’s just too much of it in the tank to spot dose with the recommended amount.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long ago were you making these changes to the substrate?

Iím not an expert in plants, but just when it comes to a closed eco system, that substrate is crucial to have the right bacteria to balance the chemistry.

This isnít going to be a problem that will fix itself overnight. Just keep things steady, and monitor the changes. If it blooms and gets way worse, then you might have to scramble, but in my experience, just try to keep things steady for a couple of weeks, and the system will likely recover.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrilah fish View Post
How long ago were you making these changes to the substrate?

Iím not an expert in plants, but just when it comes to a closed eco system, that substrate is crucial to have the right bacteria to balance the chemistry.

This isnít going to be a problem that will fix itself overnight. Just keep things steady, and monitor the changes. If it blooms and gets way worse, then you might have to scramble, but in my experience, just try to keep things steady for a couple of weeks, and the system will likely recover.

I actually never removed any substrate I just added black rocks over the existing sand I capped the dirt off. My first layer of sand was not very deep so I just decided to add a very small layer of the black substrate over it to cover the sand about 6 weeks ago. Itís virtually impossible to remove or change substrate entirely due to the dirt. I donít think my substrate is an issue but I could be wrong and hopefully my tank recovers.

Tags
algae, first tank, help advice, staghorn, tank, weird

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com