help with lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 36 gallon bowfront and need help on deciding on which lighting i need. Im currently using a 20 watt life glo bulb for my amazon swords. Does anyone know any good cheap lights i can buy?:angel:

The bow fronts are a pain to upgrade. Do some research on T5HO flourescent lighting. The fixtures will need to be 30", the bulbs will be 24" and likely 24 watts each.
Here is an example of one that would work.
30in 2Bulbs fixtures

edit: Here is another http://www.current-usa.com/lighting/nova-extreme-2x

Keep in mind that you would likely have to find a glass top, depends on what lid you currently have.
If you have the Aqueon brand of 36 bowfront, go to their website and look for the glass top that fits. (Called versa-top).

Ugh figured it would go that way:/ and yes i do have the aqueon brand and isnt there a cheaper way? Cant i just buy a good strip light or is that the only way? im not doing so good with cash right now but i do want my plants to live:(

Yeah, lighting is expensive, but the 1st link I posted is a bout the least expensive for decent dual light strip.
The problem is when you move to a double bulb strip, you need a new lid as the light won't shine through the originl lid. Unless you just forget aabout the lid. Some fish jump though, and no lid means higher evaporation... and cats eating fish :)

I'm upgrading the same tank as you are and this is the best option I have found, after like 2 months of research.

Good Luck

haha good thing i dont have a cat, but if i go with the second option ima have to buy the versa top as well? And do you know anything about argentine swords?

I don't think you have to buy a lid. There may be other factors involved for using a lid, like splashing water in the light, or fish jumping out etc... The light fixture will work with or without one. It just wont work with your current lid because they are too big from front to back (Depth).

I've never had amazon swords.
I would say the following should do well if you had a dual strip T5 with a total of 48 watts and the proper bulbs for plants...
Java moss, java fern, anacharis, anubias.
Maybe some others as well but will have to see what others suggest.

So how much will all that cost me? Money is hard on me right now, I keep buying equipment that I think I need then found out its all worthless and yes I do research before I buy. And one of my concerns about those lights is algae, wont I get a lot of it?

I suppose cost depends on where you live. Lighting is the most expensive part of the fresh water aquarium.
I am in Canada. The glass versa-top lid for me is around $50.00, but I have yet to convince my fish store to order it and not charge me the shipping cost lol. If I had it shipped to my door, it would cost between $80 and $100... crazy !! I'm not paying that for a piece of glass.

The light fixture by Current USA, the Nova Extreme would cost me roughly $125.00. Big Al's (in USA) goes for $100.00, on their website.

If you are in the USA, it will cost you much less (even though the Canadian dollar is worth $1.05 American, again.. crazy !! :)

As far as algae goes, I don't know really. I don't worry about it. Just clean the inside glass if it builds up, or get some livestock that eats algae ?
I think as long as you balance the amount of light with the amount of plants, you can keep it under control.

Good Luck

Thanks. And will my swords do fine in just plain gravel?

fishdud said:
Thanks. And will my swords do fine in just plain gravel?

Plants will do fine in plain gravel. If you have larger sharper gravel consider some plants with thicker roots but if your gravel is small and fine, more like sand or a little thicker, then any plants should grow given the right lighting and a little fertilizer.

And when planting swords in plain gravel you'll need to fertilize them using root tablets in order to give them a boost. They like that.

I would think gravel is perfectly fine.

I think (but not 100% sure), that swords get nutrients from roots, so you may need to add some kind of fertilizer, or nutrient (root tab). There are some very experienced plant people here so check back at some point for a more definitive answer.

I'm using jungle root tabs:) and question about the Nova fixture, what size will I need to get for the 36 gallon? Dumb question but I just wanna make sure.

I would get model # 1138, on this page, if you scroll down...
Nova Extreme 2xT5HO | Current-USA

You may want to shop around, or look for other brands, but I would be happy with the above choice myself :)

Just to summarize the lighting choice...
T5HO - dual strip light
Glass lid (you can skip this if you want, but if you do, make sure the fixture you choose has some kind of legs or way to attach to the frame of the tank.)
30" model (they usually come in 24", 30", 36", 48" etc...)
2 bulbs 24 watts each, if you have the option, choose both bulbs designed for plant growth.

Good Luck

And I can buy the Nova fixture from that website or eBay? And the glass top on eBay cost like $60, not bad? I guess

Back
Top Bottom