How does Anubias feed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maillis

Aquarium Advice Activist
I picked up an anubias barteri and an anubias afzelli the other day and was wondering if they feed from the water column or if they get most of their nutrients from their roots in the gravel? I've heard of people attaching anubias species to driftwood which makes me think that it doesn't need anything special for substrate but I haven't been able to find a clear answer.

Mailis,

I have planted Anubias barteri both ways, in the substrate and attached to driftwood with equal success so I really don't think it matters. I must note that I use a flourite/laterite substrate and dose my tanks with fertilizers. If you decide to plant it in the substrate make sure the rhizome is above the substrate.

Best regards,

William

Thanks a bunch, I'm planning on planting it in plain epoxy coated aquarium gravel so I was a little concerned that I might have to at least get some laterite or something for it, but it doesn't seem that the plant uses the substrate for anything other than anchoring itself.

I'm only going to have a few plants and the tank is only about 1.5 wpg, would a simple liquid fertilizer like Flourish Iron be enough as long as I don't have any heavy root feeders like Amazon swords?

Back
Top Bottom