How effective is the fluval 20 gram CO2 kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whatsgoodm8

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone :)
So I'm looking to set up a 20 gallon tank in the near future and wanted to grow some more demanding foreground plants such as pogostemon helferi and hydrcotyle tripartita so I pretty much need CO2. There's a really cheap CO2 kit by Ista similar to the fluval 20g kit but a lot cheaper, and it has the same kind of diffuser where the CO2 just sits in the container inside the tank and slowly dissolves. I was wondering how effective can this really be? Will the amount of CO2 that dissolves be enough for those plants that I mentioned? Can anyone guess approximately how many bubbles a second of C02 this would be equivalent to? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

This is the kind of CO2 kit, please help

It would be horrible to be honest with u. Reasons being:

There is no solenoid. So u can't put it on a timer to turn on and off.

The output would fluctuate up and down as its not being controlled by a regulator. This is a main cause for BBA algae.

Cost is expensive for refills and tanks will last minimal time.

When pressure runs low I'd imagine u would get end of tank dump causing a huge rise in co2 that can gas your fish.

To be honest if your looking to go down the co2 route then it's best to get a decent setup and now have to worry about additional cost etc after.

Paintball regulators are a great cheap alternative. Aquatek regulators are a reasonable price for both big tanks and paintballs.

I've got an azoo reg on a 2.6k cylinder (5lb) running my 60g and a full tank lasts me about 3 months + and only costs me $25 to refill at my local home few store.

Hope I've helped [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom