How far do ruffled swords stretch? New pics 5/27/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I am thinking I want to grow one of these plantlets emersed.......can anyone gimme some pointers?

All three of them have bloomed and the first two have leaves but none have roots so far.

Do I have to put it back in the water to get the roots to start growing?

And I assume that the soil should be kept muddy......am I correct?

I would think that once the flowers fall off, if you pollinated or not, that they would be ready to be removed and placed in the water. I would watch for roots to start and maybe start misting them with water from the tank or just wetting them a couple times a day. As soon as you get roots, you should be able to just plant them and have them take off. You might have to place the whole runner back in the tank just so they know they are aquatic. Might help for lots of roots to start, might not. That is assuming it grows anything like a spider plant or other land based runner propogator. Make sure to let us know what works.

The one that slipped back in the tank, does it have any significant roots?

New pics......

I now have more flowers. It's interesting how the flowers curl up just before night-time, and are back open when I wake up in the morning. :)

75g344.jpg

75g345.jpg

75g346.jpg

75g347.jpg

75g348.jpg

75g349.jpg

75g350.jpg

75g351.jpg

75g352.jpg

75g353.jpg

New update:

The sword that sent out the shoot, well, the one node that was under water is now sending out roots. So I submerged the whole stem to see if I can get the rest to do the same. If I can, then I'll have several baby swords, and will put a couple in my 29G. Also, I have 2 more new shoots going out of the water, lol. Will need to prune to see if it's the same ruffled sword, or one of the others.

I just learned something new. When swords send out a shoot, the nodes that are under water will send out roots, and the ones above water will flower. Then, when you place the flowered nodes under water, they will start sending out roots. All my nodes are now sending out roots. Will have about 13 plantlets, and I have 2 other shoots now with a few nodes on them. :)

Back
Top Bottom