How long does DIY CO2 generator take to start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisethompson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just put a DIY CO2 generator together. I rehydrated the yeast with some 100 deg F water and a bit of sugar. After 10 mins I added to the soda bottle.

12 hours later there is no gas coming out. How long should it take to start? Perhaps I did not rehydrate or start the yeast correctly. Or should I just wait a bit longer?

how much sugar, yeast, baking soda and water did you use? try searching the plant forum for recipes, many have had a lot of success here. also, did you test your bottle and connections for leaks? You should but the bottle under water to see if bubble come out anywhere they shouldn't

nope, anywhere from 80-110F is fine. The water should feel warm, not hot. Honestly, I don't even bother with temp. The hot water to dissolve the sugar and then the cold water added feels about perfect.

I would suspect a leak as the primary culprit - you should have at least something coming out by now. Usually any kind of missteps in preparing the mixture just result in a solution that does not last very long, IME.

Definitely check out shawmutt's site for his extremely clever way to check for leaks in the cap. :D

Honestly, I think 100F is too warm. A jacuzzi is only 104 degrees...think about how warm that feels?

85degrees is warm enough for rehydrating yeast. Hot water will kill yeast, as will taking cold, refridgerated yeast and tossing it into lukewarm water...you need to let it set at room temp 5 mins, then add to the water.

I used to make beer and mead with both brewers and bread yeast. bread yeast is more hardy, but still dies if heated too much.

However I too wouldn't rule out that you got lucky and the yeast made it, but that you have a tiny pin-hole leak somewhere in the setup.

One bit of advice I can give to avoid leaks in the cap.

Drill the hole in the cap smaller than the tubing. Then cut the tubing at an angle and pull it though the holes with pliers. I have done this on bubble counters, yeast reactors and my DIY reactors for my pressurized system and never had a problem. I have found that with most tubing an 11/64" hole works best.

I followed the 11/64" drill bit recommendation, no silicone, and mine work like champs.

I also agree that most people probably get the water to where it feels too warm. Think about how your 80F tank feels when you put your hand in it - not quite "warm" and that will give you a good idea of how warm the water needs to be. If you are 98.6 then it should not feel too warm at all.

It's all this kind of happy **** that leads many to pressurized!

I can't remember anyone that has had a problem with the method I use and recommend. And IMHO it's much quicker and much more elegant than trying to seal two dissimilar plastics.

And thanks in large part to you, Rex, we are all on the road to more "elegant" methods of fishkeeping! I love that word.....

I never tried it without silicone but now just for the hell of it I am! I wonder would it still hold a good seal on a dual 2 liter setup?

Cool beans! I set up a dual 2liter today using rexx's method. It took me 5 minutes tops and there are no leaks! Works great. That info should be in a sticky somewhere. My silicone days are over. Also now that im running two 2 liters, I have my c02 levels about where I want them.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try this again tomorrow night. I'll test for leaks, but I also suspect that the heat could have killed the yeast. I'm going to make sure that I am nearer the bottom of the temperature range, rather than near the top.

Rex Grigg said:
I can't remember anyone that has had a problem with the method I use and recommend. And IMHO it's much quicker and much more elegant than trying to seal two dissimilar plastics.

Is this the small bulkheads that are availabe fromt tower hobbies?

You can use those bulkheads but I just drill a hole smaller than the tubing and pull it though.

I'm adding a new lighting system to my aquarium and am going to supplement it with a DIY CO2. I took a look at your webpage Shawmutt and am going to try yours out. However, the bubble ladder is gone from the drsfostersmith.com site. Any alternative suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom