how many wpg do i have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so i have never been sure about how many wpg i have

I have one 9w CF light and 26w CF bulbs over my 5gallon. Since it is a small tank i have never been able to work it out and see exactly what i have. Everyone just tells me it is medium-high but how many wpg is that exactly? :idea:

TIA

I would need to know more about the bulb and the reflector inorder to better 'guess' the about of light in your tank.

I'd recommend using Wizard~Of~Ozz's article for a resonable estimate of you light level (there's a calculator halfway down the page). If either of the lights are using spiral CF bulbs you're light won't be quite as good as the estimate since a fair amount of the light is lost to restrike.

If it's truely medium high, that would the equivalant of between 2-3WPG of NO Flourescent on a larger tank. The decimal would have to be determined by whether it's acting more like a high light tank or a medium light tank. Literally, it's 7WPG of CF light.

ok, using that reference i was able to figure out that i have about 2.7wpg, i'm happy with that. I have another question though too. Do you think that i could gorw dwarf hairgrass at that amount?

Jchillin said:
Absolutely! I've done so with a lot less light than you have. :)
rkilling1 said:
I would need to know more about the bulb and the reflector inorder to better 'guess' the about of light in your tank.

but what he fails to mention is how its setup.

I recall a post of his on this tank. the 9 watt was just laying on top with no reflector therefore less then 1/2 of the light is going into the tank and the 26 watt is a CF screw in that is in a reptil heat lamp kinda fixure, so only a very small amount of that light is getting into the tank.

I am not trying to attack anyone here, just trying to make some points. just having the numbers dosn't mean anything, if it isnt' getting into the tank. that is why I was asking you, WaterPond, about your setup.

EDIT:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=87683&highlight=

(I spend way to much time on this site. :roll: )

yeah, its totally different now. Everything is under a hood which is lined with sheet metal type stuff. All is reflected down towards the water. Only a little light escapes out the back of the lid where my HOB filter needs to be. I'm pretty sure 95% of it is going towards the plants. I would take a picture if only my camera was working.

WaterPond said:
yeah, its totally different now. Everything is under a hood which is lined with sheet metal type stuff. All is reflected down towards the water. Only a little light escapes out the back of the lid where my HOB filter needs to be. I'm pretty sure 95% of it is going towards the plants. I would take a picture if only my camera was working.

WOW, that I am glad to hear. now we are talking plant growth. (and CO2 time, maybe)

Back
Top Bottom