How tall does corkscrew Vallisneria get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
How tall have you seen corkscrew Vallisneria get? I've seen conflicting info on the Internet (1 ft max and 20 inches max) and wanted to see what you guys have experienced.

Thanks.

I have a book that says 20 inches but I have never tried growing it. I'm interested to see what others say about this.

I read about 1 foot but others on this forum reported more than that (tall enough to get to the top of a 55g or 220g tank).

My Corkscrew Vals are about an inch from the surface of my water in a 30" tall tank, 220g. I can tell you they do grow slow and take quite some time to get there. I didn't mind because I don't like the Jungle and Red vals that grow 2-3' leaves that lay all over the water surface. I believe light and CO2 or liquid carbon in my case really aid in the plants growing tall. Where are you thinking of planting them.. mid or back in the tank?

My Corkscrew Vals are about an inch from the surface of my water in a 30" tall tank, 220g. I can tell you they do grow slow and take quite some time to get there. I didn't mind because I don't like the Jungle and Red vals that grow 2-3' leaves that lay all over the water surface. I believe light and CO2 or liquid carbon in my case really aid in the plants growing tall. Where are you thinking of planting them.. mid or back in the tank?

I want them all along the front of the tank. Jk lol. I'm aiming to plant them in the back corner. I agree I don't really want them hanging all over the place either. My tank I want them in is 20" tall so that would be the max I'm looking for.

Do you know if they are affected by water flow? I would like them near my outlet so there's some movement in the leaves.

Thanks this was what I was looking for.

I have flow going through mine and they handle it just fine. They would also be perfect in that size tank since they really are slow growers in the height department. If your wanting them in the front of the tank I would suggest going with dwarf sag which only gets to 8" tall or even something lower like dwarf chain sword.

I have flow going through mine and they handle it just fine. They would also be perfect in that size tank since they really are slow growers in the height department. If your wanting them in the front of the tank I would suggest going with dwarf sag which only gets to 8" tall or even something lower like dwarf chain sword.

Sounds good. Naw I was just kidding about having them in front.

Back
Top Bottom