Hydrogen peroxide dosage? / Algae treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emmie943

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've recently have had an algae bloom in my 20 gallon freshwater planted aquarium most likely due to overfeeding. I've cut down on feeding and have adjusted the photo period of my tank. I was wondering if someone has experienced using hydrogen peroxide to treat a whole tank? What dosage would you recommend? Currently the only fish in there are guppies along with their fry, would this be safe for them? I would be using 3% hydrogen peroxide.

What type of algae is this?
What lights are you running over your tank?

Imho, the best bet for treating a tank with hydrogen peroxide is to do spot treatments of the problem areas. I would turn off the filters, take 5ml or so of hydrogen peroxide, and using a syringe squirt it at the problem areas, wait 10 - 15 minutes then turn the filters back on. Repeat this daily and it should safely clear up your issues.

Attachments

• QUALITY_TANK.jpg
    QUALITY_TANK.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 294
  • QUALITY_TANK_NUKED.jpg
    QUALITY_TANK_NUKED.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 202
Three days ago it was just slightly cloudy water then yesterday it was worse now the tank is fully green water. I did a 35% water change yesterday assuming that would help but it just fueled the fire and gave the algae a better opportunity to grow. Im not running the lights at all but the tank is exposed to room light. Also I've started dosing flourish excel. I would prefer to keep the fish in this tank while it's being treated but if things get worse I will try the method you used.

I just had a very bad experience where I changed the water and treated with peroxide. The water conditioners reacted with the peroxide and killed some of my inverts.

I've recently have had an algae bloom in my 20 gallon freshwater planted aquarium most likely due to overfeeding. I've cut down on feeding and have adjusted the photo period of my tank. I was wondering if someone has experienced using hydrogen peroxide to treat a whole tank? What dosage would you recommend? Currently the only fish in there are guppies along with their fry, would this be safe for them? I would be using 3% hydrogen peroxide.
An alternative whole tank treatment is AlgaeFix which I have found very effective with no side effects. Not good for shrimp / snails.

Back
Top Bottom