I am so good at growing algae...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Queen of Thorns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon aquarium with 40 fluorescent watts of light, 5 swords, wisteria, java fern, and a bunch of anacharis. Unfortunately, I also have lots of algae. Should I add more light and CO2? If so, how?

Tank Specs
40 Watts (6500 K, I believe)
pH: 7.0
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 10 ppm
KH: 35.8 ppm

At 1.37wpg...CO2 is not necessary. There are number of reasons as to why you have algae (if you are speaking of the green variety). Lights being left on more than 12 hours, tank in direct sunlight and overfeeding.

Hi Jchillin! I read the post in another thread where you suggested cleaning out the filter intake tubes, so I did that yesterday, just in case... I didn't think that I was overfeeding the fish, but in the event that I was, I ceased feeding for two days. I also set up huge pieces of plywood over my windows in an attempt to figure out if sunlight was causing the algae. It didn't work either. However, I *am* leaving the aquarium lights on for more than twelve hours a day -- so I will stop that immediately and see if it helps. Do you think that my plants will survive on 1.3 wpg? Thank you so much for your advice. I have (obviously) been reading a lot of your posts.

Check your nitrate levels.. nitrite as well.. Im assuming of course that you dont have any ammonia.. This is usually caused by the photperiod being too long.. ie what JC said!
Cuz JC rocks like that!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Queen of Thorns said:
Do you think that my plants will survive on 1.3 wpg?

If they are doing well now, they will continue to do so. Since algae thrives on the same nutrients as your plants, getting rid of it is a priority.

Queen of Thorns said:
Thank you so much for your advice. I have (obviously) been reading a lot of your posts.

greenmaji said:
Cuz JC rocks like that!!!

Awww...shucks! :D

Queen of Thorns said:
After two days of reduced lighting, our tank is almost completely clear. :)

Before I had live plants, I noticed a MAJOR difference between 12 hours of light and 10 hours of light. I even noticed a change with 5 hours on, 1 hour off, and another 5 on. The slightest cut back will help.

greenmagi said:
If you get plenty of plants that can do well with your lighting conditions it will drastically reduce the likelihood that the algae will come back.. did you check these out?
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=1&filter_by=2
The plants will outcompete the algae for nutrients keeping it at bay..

This is very true! I made the switch to an aquarium with plants (not "planted" yet). I have 4 bunches of Anacharis (6 plants per bunch). I used to leave my lights on for about 12 hours. With stock lighting I had crystal clear water. I recently switched to 80W (~2.5 WPG) on my 29 gal. Lights on for 12 hours started to haze the water. I dropped to a schedule of 6 on, 1 off, and another 6 on. This cleared the water up nicely. Over the weekend I added CO2 to the mix. I left the lights on for 14 hours without incident (even had minor pearling).

So in conclusion, any drop in the photoperiod will help with algae, even if it's just a short "break" throughout the day. Plants to outcompete the algae will also help. At your lighting specs, CO2 is not needed. If you get a nice low/mid light plant that grows quickly, then I think you'll find your water clear up faster and stay clear.

Just my $0.02. ;)

Back
Top Bottom