I finally made the change - *New pics 5/4/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I changed the substrate today. Nothing major. I'm just hoping the cloudiness clears up soon. I also purged the tank of all plants except for the Amazon swords.

Before
dec102006a007.jpg

After
tankredofeb2007009.jpg

The new substrate is a combo of reg gravel, flourite and Shultz Aquasoil.

So what did you do with the plants that were removed?

Looks really good by the way!

LandGhoti said:
Ooooo, I like the new substrate much better!

Thanks LandFish. I'm kinda liking it too.

JDogg said:
i hope those plants get to you this time, they will look nice

Same here...they were supposed to be in there now. Thanks for making another attempt.

Purrbox said:
So what did you do with the plants that were removed?

Sadly, they all went to the planted tank in the trash. Long story there. Time to start over.

why did you do it? the blue stuff is great for plants.. Resin is a requirement (at least for plastic plants. OK, I'm just joking)

Looks much better and should allow for some much better growth. Hopefully the clouding dissipates.

Nice job, buddy! That is gonna look awesome when it grows back!
Just run a quickfilter for a day, the cloudiness is all gonna clear up.

I love that gravel combination! It's looking really nice. It's worth the work you did! :) That's a nice pic of the bala sharks too.

Wizzard~of~Ozz said:
why did you do it? the blue stuff is great for plants.. Resin is a requirement

:evil: Didn't I just see your sailfin belly-flopping on your plants? :ROFLMAO:

Maxwell1295 said:
Was all that stuff from the bucket or did you add to it?

The new substrate is a combo of the bucket you gave me and Shultz Aquasoil (see pic below).

Thanks again everyone. I forgot to mention that I also upped my lighting from 1.4 to an insane, eye-popping 1.7wpg!

Attachments

• newsoil_303.jpg
    newsoil_303.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 22
Probably, he's been known to do that nightly.. And I'm sure Cliff will bring you just as much joy in the future.

I'm surprised to see Balas in your tank. They love breaking off pieces of plants. I had 2 that would rip apart any new growth on my Anubias (which nothing is really supposed to eat)..

How long did it take you to switch it out?

Wizzard~of~Ozz said:
I'm surprised to see Balas in your tank.

Not as surprised as I am. I got them as a surprise gift last year. :shock:

An t-iasg said:
Major work for major payoff!

Well, I didn't want to scare folks away from doing something similar to their tanks. It is a lot of work and should only be done when you are fully prepared.

Tank looks great, that's a big job. Your plants will love you for it. You'll have a blast re planting and watching it all grow in again. We'll be watching as well :)

Wizzard~of~Ozz said:
How long did it take you to switch it out?

Sorry Wiz, missed that question. Entire job took four hours. Most of the time was spent catching 33 fish (not easy...especially the tetras) and removing the gravel. I had rinsed most of the new substrate the night before.

Here is an updated pic, the tank is clearing nicely.

Attachments

• tankredofeb182007_012_130.jpg
    tankredofeb182007_012_130.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 51
Definately looks like it was worth the time. I was glad to get rid of that resin rock stuff too.. couldn't get anything but big rooters to get a good hold (seems to compact).. Look forward to seeing what your pleco does to it, erm I mean, look forward to seeing what you can fight with him about.

Back
Top Bottom