I need help with Java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImBettaThanCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I just got this Java fern at my local pet store. It seemed to just be a bunch of Java fern leaves almost tied together in a bunch. Should I remove that tie or let it grow? Also, I've heard that you can tie Java fern to a rock or driftwood using thread. What does the thread have to be made out of? And when the thread supposedly deteriorates, does it affect the water in any way?

Everything I read said cotton thread. I searched out cotton thread at Walmart. It was a machine quilting thread and of course the most expensive. Well, it was difficult to work with and it disintegrated long before the plants established themselves. I watched you tube videos where you can find lots of ideas for attaching plants to rocks, driftwood, etc. I tried a couple zip ties to rocks. Does not look great but I covered the zip tie with another rock. I bought some fishing line for my Anubis and that actually works pretty well.

I use very fine jewelry line. IMG_2101.jpg

I put it on a large plastic yarn needle so I can get it between leaves and closer to the rhizome. Don’t stop too tight or you can damage it. Just snug enough to hold to the rock or wood.

I don't have any gel super glue currently but I will get some soon. As of now I have loosely wedged the rhizomes of the Java ferns between some small pebbles. Is that alright?

As long as it’s cyano u should be fine [emoji106] don’t glue under water and make sure where u glue is hidden as it turns white when put into the water [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom