I'd LIKE algae in my tank. Come rant and help me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiroptera

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I'm currently scratching my head over how in the world to grow a lush layer of algae in my tank.

Say what?

Yeah. I'm doing a heavily planted, lush tank, and I'm putting three or four large stones off-center that I'd like to be covered in a lush algae, or short moss, MUCH in the manner this tank has:
Plantado_18_09_06.jpg

I'm not sure if that's a short, close-fitted moss, but it looks a whole lot more like an algae to me.

So what would I have to do to achieve the same look? Spotlight it? Have too much nutrients in the tank?
How would I keep it from attatching to my plants?
Better off, is there a moss I can use instead?
Come rant and help me. ;)

First of all that is not algae, most likely a plant called dwarf baby tears. And that is an iwagumi style aquarium.... Google it. Not very easy to grow that... LOL

I believe the OP is actually referring to the large rocks in the picture. They seem to be covered by a thin layer of algae which gives a nice effect. I know a lot of Pleco folks (myself included) will have a rotation of rocks. Put one in a small container with aquarium water in full sun. When the rock is covered with algae, put it in the place of an existing rock. You just do a rotation and by the time one rock is clean another rock is ready. You could do it with multiple rocks to achieve what you are wanting.

Oh, by the way, you could do a type of moss. However it will just collect detritus and often looks messy IMO.

I could try. And yeah, I know that's a DBT carpet, hahaha. I meant the short moss or algae on the stones.

If it'll be close to ridiculous to pull off, I can always try something else, but I'd like to know if there's an easy way. I'll set a tank of water in the sun with my rocks and see if the algae stays on when it gets set in my tank. I think if I have no algae eaters and just used an algae magnet for the glass, it should stay, but I'd be concerned about the other plants in the tank. Maybe shrimp?

I don't know, I've really only done the rock in the sun thing a few times; I'm no expert but I get the general methodology. Theoretically, if you put the rock in your tank and conditions aren't really favorable for it (your nutrients and light is well balanced), then you shouldn't have a problem with it spreading. I think this is something that may just have to be kind of an experiment.

I would think it's just a natural slow accumulation of GDA that many/most planted tanks have, well balanced or otherwise.

I was actually able to achieve that algae growth on rocks, back wall, and my dw decor by using an actinic 50/50's on a fw tank. This was my old setup because I've since replaced the lights for fw daylight bulbs and have rescaped. I've removed some of the algae rocks pictured and placed them in my other low light fw tank. Surprisingly, the algae survives without spreading. Kinda resembles those japanese moss balls.

ForumRunner_20120808_233908.jpg

Those moss balls (actually a form of algae) can be broken up with patience and made to grow on rocks and such. Although they often will outcompete other forms of algae.
An interesting thing about them is that they make themselves sink or float in accordance to how much light they need to photosynthesize (sp?) Lol :p

paytertot said:
Those moss balls (actually a form of algae) can be broken up with patience and made to grow on rocks and such. Although they often will outcompete other forms of algae.
An interesting thing about them is that they make themselves sink or float in accordance to how much light they need to photosynthesize (sp?) Lol :p

They grow EXTREMELY slowly, so I don't think they would outcompete anything lol

paytertot said:

I dont think it can attach itself to anything

tropicalmackdaddy said:
I dont think it can attach itself to anything

No it won't really attach, but I've wedged pieces in nooks and crannys and it stayed there. That's really what I meant, sorry.

Chiroptera said:
So, I'm currently scratching my head over how in the world to grow a lush layer of algae in my tank.

Say what?

Yeah. I'm doing a heavily planted, lush tank, and I'm putting three or four large stones off-center that I'd like to be covered in a lush algae, or short moss, MUCH in the manner this tank has:

I'm not sure if that's a short, close-fitted moss, but it looks a whole lot more like an algae to me.

So what would I have to do to achieve the same look? Spotlight it? Have too much nutrients in the tank?
How would I keep it from attatching to my plants?
Better off, is there a moss I can use instead?
Come rant and help me. ;)

Ok well if you truly want algae add too much fertilizers over feed your fish keep your light on 24/7 but do weekly water changes to keep the nitrates from killing the fish and you will get all the algae yout want

You could just set the rocks up like you want them and let the algae grow on its own without any effort from you.

Hm.. Probably. I'm planning on a light probably too bright for the plants I want anyways, may help. I was just going to run it less, but maybe if I add an hour or two..

Over feeding would just get me planaria. Nice snacks for the fish, but bad sign of probable high nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom