Ideas for yellow plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaiofcanada

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Last year I spent a fortune finding and acquiring red and deep purple plants for my tanks with the hope of balancing all of the greens that one can find easily. Now I have too many and they have flourished in my current set up with 4.5wpg and co2 with root and liquid fertilizers.

I now want to add in some splashes of yellow/gold to my aquascape. Any ideas on some plants that have yellow or gold tones? or even some orange? I am looking for things that would be placed mid to foreground.

My current plants include melon swords, red,bronze, and blasii crypts, red cabomba, red lotus, drawf chain sword, anubias nana petit, and nesaea red.

Ludwigia repens x acuata
Ludwigia brevipes
Some alternathera
Lysimachia nummularia v 'aurea'

Just off the top of my head...

Moneywort is a nice lime green plant.
moneywort2.jpg

I like these suggestions. :) I had not considered lime green. I am hoping for something really bright to offset all of the deep greens and reds.

I have moneywort and it grows like wild fire. Also wants it gets really long the parts that are out of the water will have yellow flowers. :)

Ludwigia ovalis
Ludwigia grandulosa
Alternanthera reineckii var 'roseafolia'
Nymphaea stellata(dwarf lily plant)
Hygrophylia corymbosa
Nesaea pedicellata "golden"
Myriophyllum tuberculatum
Rotala macrandra
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala walichii
Lymnophila aromatica

There you go :) these are cool plants. I have the ovalis and it's "goldish brown" I saved these names for future use. For a tank with few to no green plant :) good luck.

blyxa japonica turns a very nice golden color when under high light.

wow thanks so much for the ideas! I will try to find some of these options. Thanks all. I will keep you posted on what I find :)

kaiofcanada said:
wow thanks so much for the ideas! I will try to find some of these options. Thanks all. I will keep you posted on what I find :)

Your :welcome:
Can we get pics???

Crepe said:
Ludwigia repens x acuata
Ludwigia brevipes
Some alternathera
Lysimachia nummularia v 'aurea'

Just off the top of my head...

Will the lysimachia survive fully submerged? We grow it as a bedding plant at work, and I know it likes a lot of moisture, and will grow into a pond if planted at the edges. I wanted some in my tank, but didn't know if it'd survive being submerged or the heat?

+1 for the golden nesaea. Under bright light it's a medium yellow. It's a touchy plant, but if you've got red nesaea, you should be ok. I've got it growing in my 20H under LEDs and it's taking off now that it's adjusted to aquatic life.

Will the lysimachia survive fully submerged? We grow it as a bedding plant at work, and I know it likes a lot of moisture, and will grow into a pond if planted at the edges. I wanted some in my tank, but didn't know if it'd survive being submerged or the heat?

Have some in my tank. Does fine. It's actually a very common aquarium plant.

Just prepare for some die off when you plant it. It has to convert from emersed form the submersed form.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...ils.php?id=111&category=genus&spec=Lysimachia

Crepe said:
Have some in my tank. Does fine. It's actually a very common aquarium plant.

Just prepare for some die off when you plant it. It has to convert from emersed form the submersed form.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=111&category=genus&spec=Lysimachia

Interesting that it says it grows mostly upwards with few sideshoots, yet at work it creeps across the ground. I'm definitely gonna get some then :) it's one of my face bedding plants :) do you reckon I could buy a potted one from work, rinse the soil off and plant it in my tank? Or would I have to buy it as an aquatic plant?

Rotala nanjenshan

29262_424722751209_64363006209_5802135_6961538_n.jpg

Lysimachia is a cool looking plant, but fully submersed it grows VERY VERY slowly, and needs bright light. Rotala nanjenshan grows like a weed under more moderate light levels.

Ludwigia ovalis
Ludwigia grandulosa
Alternanthera reineckii var 'roseafolia'
Nymphaea stellata(dwarf lily plant)
Hygrophylia corymbosa
Nesaea pedicellata "golden"
Myriophyllum tuberculatum
Rotala macrandra
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala walichii
Lymnophila aromatica

Most of these plants are NOT yellow. Not even close to being yellow! So I don't get it. Some of them are even completely DARK red.... Nesaea golden is the ony yellow plant on this list

Join my blog!
Aqua Botanic's Aqua Bloggin »

Back
Top Bottom