Is sand a good Enough substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devon6209

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 60g with: 3 t5ho 54w bulbs, pressurized co2, inline diffuser for 100% diffusion, and dry ferts, and just plain sand substrate. I also have root tabs on hand. I would like a dwarf hair grass or baby tears carpet. The Q is, will either grow in plain sand? I have tried them before but that was with liquid ferts(under used) and just a poopy co2 reactor. And both died or melted.

Attachments

• image-2008285988.jpg
    image-2008285988.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 332
Devon6209 said:
I have a 60g with: 3 t5ho 54w bulbs, pressurized co2, inline diffuser for 100% diffusion, and dry ferts, and just plain sand substrate. I also have root tabs on hand. I would like a dwarf hair grass or baby tears carpet. The Q is, will either grow in plain sand? I have tried them before but that was with liquid ferts(under used) and just a poopy co2 reactor. And both died or melted.

Sand is fine IMHO. Your lights and Ferts including CO2 are a huge deal with this plants AFAIK and it looks like you have that covered.

GL

It really doesn't matter what kind of substrate you have as long as it lets plants root in it and it doesn't change the ph of your water.

Using Sand as a Substrate

Hello D...

If you've already got sand in the tank, then I wouldn't go to the effort of changing it. Unless you raise Corydoras, then there are better substrates than sand. Sand has a tendency to compact and plants in it can lose nutrients because nothing can get through the sand. It also makes gravel vacuuming difficult at best.

Just one reporter's opinion. Granted, I think it looks good, but so do many other kinds. I've just never been a fan of using sand.

B

I wouldn't plant in sand without root tabs and you already have them. Use em and your plants should be fine.

CorallineAlgae said:
I wouldn't plant in sand without root tabs and you already have them. Use em and your plants should be fine.

The plants should be fine in sand without root tabs too, as long as there are enough ferts in the water and enough nutrients in the sand.

maxwellag said:
The plants should be fine in sand without root tabs too, as long as there are enough ferts in the water and enough nutrients in the sand.

By nutrients in the sand, what is it that you mean?

CorallineAlgae said:
By nutrients in the sand, what is it that you mean?

Usually fish waste and other stuff breaks down and the nutrients from that end up in the substrate. Lots of root feeding plants use the nutrients.

maxwellag said:
Usually fish waste and other stuff breaks down and the nutrients from that end up in the substrate. Lots of root feeding plants use the nutrients.

I depend on that building up too. But I also use root tabs and don't vacuum my substrate. Using detritus alone in plain sand, especially at the start, won't always give reliably good results for a full "lawn" style tank. In an established tank it's an option but when just starting out with sand that isn't rich in detritus root tabs are dependable and proven to help. I don't see a downside to using them. Especially since he already has them on hand. I can certainly see needing them for dwarf hair grass and baby tears. Do you feel root tab use in general is unnecessary, or just not worth the cost? Some people do say they're not worth the cost and go with osmocote. I think store bought ones ARE to pricy, even though I've been using flourish tabs for 10 years. I hate to think of how much I've spent but my plants always respond well.

Thanks for the info guys. Now to just find some at a decent price. Don't wanna get more from petsmart bc it has died 3 times already

Thanks for the info guys. Now to just find some at a decent price. Don't wanna get more from petsmart bc it has died 3 times already

Try the root tabs. How much co2 are you dosing? Also what ferts have you been dosing and how often?

Let me recommend MTS as a snail which can only help move nutrients around your sand.

MABJ said:
Let me recommend MTS as a snail which can only help move nutrients around your sand.

They also stir up the sand, releasing potentially toxic gas bubbles.

maxwellag said:
They also stir up the sand, releasing potentially toxic gas bubbles.

The potentially is a key word. The deadly gas is certainly lethal and certainly possible, but when it does release, it hits the surface so quickly it doesn't hurt fish.

It still can't be pleasant for them, and if you sniff one as it surfaces, it will smell like rotten eggs.

Max is on the dot here, they prevent that too. :p

The potentially is a key word. The deadly gas is certainly lethal and certainly possible, but when it does release, it hits the surface so quickly it doesn't hurt fish.

It still can't be pleasant for them, and if you sniff one as it surfaces, it will smell like rotten eggs.

Max is on the dot here, they prevent that too. :p

The problem is, while it is trapped under the sand, it can be diffused into the water.

BBradbury said:
Hello D...

If you've already got sand in the tank, then I wouldn't go to the effort of changing it. Unless you raise Corydoras, then there are better substrates than sand. Sand has a tendency to compact and plants in it can lose nutrients because nothing can get through the sand. It also makes gravel vacuuming difficult at best.

Just one reporter's opinion. Granted, I think it looks good, but so do many other kinds. I've just never been a fan of using sand.

B

I've had sand in my tanks for a year. My plants thrive and my Cory habrosus are super happy.
My club member breeds Corys, he and Planet Catfish recommend smooth sand for Corys.
I don't vacuum much. I hover in a circular pattern above the sand and remove detritus as needed.

But everyone has their own opinion.

maxwellag said:
Try the root tabs. How much co2 are you dosing? Also what ferts have you been dosing and how often?

I am running around 3bps. And dosing the EI fert recommendation for 40-60 gal. So it's a half, an eighth, and an eighth of the 3 dry ferts.

Oh and I already have over 40 MTS. 20 are about half an inch and 20 are smaller. Alot smaller. In the pic in the first post you can see them on the driftwood standing up.

Devon6209 said:
I am running around 3bps. And dosing the EI fert recommendation for 40-60 gal. So it's a half, an eighth, and an eighth of the 3 dry ferts.

Oh and I already have over 40 MTS. 20 are about half an inch and 20 are smaller. Alot smaller. In the pic in the first post you can see them on the driftwood standing up.

The way you have your system setup I can't imagine that you'd have any trouble growing a lush carpet of hair grass or baby tears. Should fill in quickly, too! Just remember to post us a few nice pics after you get your plants going. :)

Back
Top Bottom