Is this a good source of Dry Ferts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just getting more and more into planted tanks, the more I research, read, and learn. Right now for fertilizers, I'm dosing Seachem Flourish, Excel, Flourish root tabs, and API Leaf Zone for extra iron and potash. Doing DIY CO2, which i plan to upgrade to pressured in the near future.

I was thinking of getting some dry ferts as i read that its dirt cheap in comparison to liquids.

Would Green Leaf Aquariums
http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html
be the best source?

or

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/index.asp?Option1=cats&Edit=2&EditU=1&Regit=2

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes it is a good place to get them and yes it is way cheaper especially if you have a large tank. If you go that way order thier plastic doser/mixer holding containers. They make dosing really easy. Oh, something I accidently learned while talking to fellow aquarist is that apparently the micro mix solution can grow fungus and by adding flourish excel at a rate of 5 ml of Excel to every 250 ml of Plantex CSM+B will preserve it

Which source has better and more economical value, GLA or AquariumFertilizer.com?

And which has the container you're referring to?

I've only used GLA. They are 500ml or 1000ml dispensing bottles at the bottom of the fertilizer page at GLA.

Would it be sufficient to just get the CSM+B / NPK mix? Is that a pretty comprehensive regiment that will provide all around micro and macro nutrients? What about Iron?

That's only micros, but will sufficiently cover iron.

I use GLA as well.

Edit: misread that. The package with all four is the way to do it.

Last edited:
Yes, that is the way to go, but understand that the Plantex CSM+B is one bag, and then the NP&K are another 3 bags. You have to either dry dose or mix the NPK together in RO/Distilled water for macro solution and the CSM+B in RO/Distilled for your micro mix. Iron is in the CSM+B mix but I have iron chelate on hand also as my plants require more than what CSM+B provides. I dry dose extra iron chelate as needed.

Is there a mixing guide/chart that comes with this stuff to help me in mixing? I never had dry ferts so i don't really know what I'm doing..lol

No directions but here is what I use:

Macro Solution

In 1 liter bottle:
59 grams K2SO4 (Potassium Sulfate)
65 grams KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate)
6 grams KH2PO4 (Mono Potassium Phosphate)
41 grams MgSO4 (Magnesium Sulfate)
Fill with distilled water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

Micro Solution

In 1 liter bottle:
80 grams of CSM+B or equivalent trace element mix
Fill with distilled water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

Dose 1 ml of each solution per ten gallons of tank size. Dose prior to lights turning on.

I also add 5 ml of Excel or so to every 250 ml of Plantex CSM solution to keep it mold free.

This is dosing PPS-Pro method (Perpetual Preservation System). Dosing El is different and I don't use that method simply because you have to do a 50% water change weekly and with a 220 gallon tank that simply is too hard to do. I have found the PPS method works great for me. I also dose with Flourish Excel for available carbon instead of using CO2.

Thanks guys. Thank you Rivercats, especially for the detailed recipe and dosing.. This is very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom